M5 Globular Cluster

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

M5 Globular Cluster

Unread post by menardre »

I was able to get out last night to image M5. I picked M5 because it is in a good part of the sky and I wanted something with a lot of stars so I can work on my procedures for aligning the LRGB images. The night sky was a bit mirky with fairly high humidity and 1st phase Moon. This is my second real attempt at imaging with monochrome camera (ZWO ASI 1600). I attached it to 5 inch refractor. I took 45 luminance images of 1 minute and 25 images of 1 minute in each Red, Green, and Blue filter. I then used Images Plus to create LUM, Red, Green, and Blue masters as well as align each of the masters and color combine them. This time I did a better job of aligning all of the luminance and color masters. Attached is a slightly cropped result. Only did minor color balance and background flatten. Much better registration this time. Image processing LRBG images is a bit more complicated than one-shot color images, but I am making progress.

Roger
M5 LRGB Processed.jpg
M5 LRGB Processed.jpg (5.04 MiB) Viewed 932 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Chuck

Re: M5 Globular Cluster

Unread post by Chuck »

Great job Roger, despite the not stellar conditions. Nice improvement in processing over M27.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox