Observing Double Stars

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
daedalus1

Observing Double Stars

Unread post by daedalus1 »

Since I have been posting my double star observations I've been fielding some questions from those who have taken some interest in those reports. So I have written a journal article on observing visual double stars. I hope you find it interesting.

Tony
Double Stars.pdf
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Stargrrl
Treasurer

Re: Observing Double Stars

Unread post by Stargrrl »

Thanks Tony!
RebekahB
ASSNE Meetup Page (all public events): http://www.meetup.com/ASSNE-MA-RI
Explore Scientific AR102 refractor/Garrett Optical 30x100 binos/Oberwerk P-Mount
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies / When a new planet swims into her ken..."
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

That's a phenomenal write up Mike. The Journal submittal that you refer to is the AVSO group? Have you submitted it to Sky & Tel for publication????
Pete P.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Hi Pete,

I'd like to take credit for that high quality document, but the member who wrote it is Tony Tripodi, whose passion for double stars knows no limits.

Mike M.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
mark.m
President

Unread post by mark.m »

Tony:
That's a wonderful writeup. Your really small standard deviations are a testament to your self-discipline and care. Superb!
- Mark M
Mark M, AJ1B
Portsmouth, RI
Celestron 14" and Meade 10" SCTs
QHY268M + SBIG ST-9
GM2000 (10Micron)
American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) observer code: MMU
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Tony thanks for posting and providing links to regarding your obsevvations. To me it is far beyond what the casual observer would like me would do.I have a question or two. First on your selection of eye pieces you use are they special order or are they modified to suit your needs.As for the protractor, is that something you modified to fit the scope?? Thanks for posting this information. I and many others in the group find it interesting. Thank you Jerry.
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
daedalus1

When observing multiple stars one can be as casual or as disciplined as you like. There is both beauty and science in a binary system, and you never run out of targets or challenges.

Thanks for your kind remarks!
Tony T.

Evostar 150mm ED refractor, F1200mm

And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke!
---Rudyard Kipling, THE BETROTHED
daedalus1

mrgizmo65 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:25 pm Tony thanks for posting and providing links to regarding your obsevvations. To me it is far beyond what the casual observer would like me would do.I have a question or two. First on your selection of eye pieces you use are they special order or are they modified to suit your needs.As for the protractor, is that something you modified to fit the scope?? Thanks for posting this information. I and many others in the group find it interesting. Thank you Jerry.
The Meade and Baader (Celestron) Astrometric eyepieces are no longer being made. I have that eyepiece at least 20 years. I modified the one I have as described in the article.
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Thank you Tony for the response. As you said there is beauty and science in your observations. After listening to your reports trying to understand why things are and how they got that way is a challenge. As for the casual observer I was speaking for myself,but I am trying to do better. Jerry
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49