NGC 7129 Nebula and NGC 742 Open Cluster

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

NGC 7129 Nebula and NGC 742 Open Cluster

Unread post by menardre »

I was finally able to get out last night to do some imaging. During my hiatus I upgraded my mount firmware and software so my 1st order of business was to test the new firmware/software to make sure they function properly. I had seen entries in the iOptron user forum of some people having problems after doing the firmware upgrade. I found the upgrade to be easy to perform and found no problems using the mount.

So I decided to test the upgrades by imaging the nebula NGC 7129 in Cepheus. I found this nebula using SkyTools (Imaging) software and it looked like a good target.

This was my 1st imaging attempt in July. To make sure everything was OK, I started by doing a PHD2 calibration followed by a PHD2 guiding assistant tool. I then let PHD2 guide using SVX130 and ZWO ASI290 camera. All looked good, so I moved on to using SGP4 to control the equipment. I used a profile for my 11 inch SCT and ZWO ASI2600 with temp set to 0C, gain set to 100, and binning set to 2x2. I started by using the autofocus routine to focus the scope. then moved on to platesolve using ASTAP.

When I ran the platesolve function I found that I could capture both NGC 7129 nebula and NGC 7142 open cluster in the same frame if I rotated the frame just right. This was also a good test of the upgrades. So I framed the image as I wanted, setup SGP to take 2 minute 2x2 images, and let it run.
Platesolve worked perfectly. When using platesolve the scope is initially commanded to the requested coordinates. It then takes a picture and compares it to the 'master' image. The 1st attempt was 12,314 pixels and 55 deg off ... that is normal. Platesolve then automatically adjusts the mount by the required pixels and commands the rotator to change angle and then takes another picture. This time the picture was 73 pixels and 0.3 degrees off. I have my threshold set for 50 pixels and 1 degree, so platesolve performed a 3rd adjustment which was successful. This may sound like a lot of effort but it is all automated and only takes a couple of minutes. SGP then saves the information for any future platesolving i.e. when meridian flip is commanded. I also routinely save the sequence so that any time in the future I can re-take the same image.

So far so good. Platesolved worked perfectly, camera was focused, autoguiding was activated (by SGP), and SGP started to take images. I started imaging around 9:30 and took 165 images ending at about 3:30 AM. I then took 52 flats (0.2 seconds) and closed down the observatory.

Today I used PixInsight for processing. I found that only 2 of the 165 images had obvious defects. I ran the SubframeSelector process to further refine and ended with 156 images for stacking. Since I had a lot of sub-frames, I eliminated any image that had higher FWHM, Eccentricity, or Noise.

Here is the result. The first image is the full frame with both nebula and open cluster. The second is cropping on the nebula.

All-in-all a really good night, great to be back imaging again.

Roger
NGC 7129 Master_ABEdiv_Autocolor_ArcSinH2_NXT_EzSR_EzMask_HTbg_Curves_MLTsharp_CurvesRed-SAT_CurvesbgRed.jpg
NGC 7129 Master_ABEdiv_Autocolor_ArcSinH2_NXT_EzSR_EzMask_HTbg_Curves_MLTsharp_CurvesRed-SAT_CurvesbgRed.jpg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 588 times
NGC 7129 Master_ABEdiv_Autocolor_ArcSinH2_NXT_EzSR_EzMask_HTbg_Curves_MLTsharp_CurvesRed-SAT_CurvesbgRed_DC.jpg
NGC 7129 Master_ABEdiv_Autocolor_ArcSinH2_NXT_EzSR_EzMask_HTbg_Curves_MLTsharp_CurvesRed-SAT_CurvesbgRed_DC.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 588 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: NGC 7129 Nebula and NGC 742 Open Cluster

Unread post by Pete »

Awesome.
Pete P.
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Wow!!
That nebula is gorgeous, and totally new to me.
Nice job.
Steve L
menardre
Vice President

Steve
Thanks.

I use a program called Skytools4 to help me decide what to image. It is essentially a large database with a decent graphics interface. I have several predefined search lists identified such as:
All Messiers Objects
NGC objects
IC Objects, etc
I have my equipment preferences preloaded. Based on the equipment I plan on using, the program provides information such as number of pixels (x & y) to be captured as well as a graph of how high the object will be throughout the night. I usually scroll down through the constellations that are going to be well placed for imaging and look for interesting objects. Skytools also provide imaging recommendations.

Then I go to SGP, select the equipment profile for the setup I plan on using, and run platesolving so that I can actually visualize the result. Sometimes I find that there may be more than one object in the filed of view, so I adjust platesolve to frame them.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

Roger,

You don't give yourself enough credit. Along with your two NGC's you have two IC's and three LEDA's. Click on or save the image to enlarge it to see the LEDAs and the IC's better.

NGC 7129 Master_ABEdiv_Autocolor_ArcSinH2_NXT_EzSR_EzMask_HTbg_Curves_MLTsharp_CurvesRed-SAT_CurvesbgRed.jpg
NGC 7129 Master_ABEdiv_Autocolor_ArcSinH2_NXT_EzSR_EzMask_HTbg_Curves_MLTsharp_CurvesRed-SAT_CurvesbgRed.jpg (609.72 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
menardre
Vice President

Paul

Thanks. I knew there was another galaxy in the image but I had no idea there were other objects.

Roger
Roger M.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks for another great screen saver for my laptop!
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968