M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

Unread post by menardre »

I know.... M51 is probably one of the most observed and imaged galaxies. I imaged M51 a couple of years ago but I do not think I did it justice. So I decided to give it another try.

I started imaging around 8:30PM (although it was really too bright to do so) and concluded around 2:30AM. I used 11 inch SCT with ZWO ASI2600 OSC. SVX130 and ZWO ASI290 used for autoguiding.

Wind gusts all night so I installed wind shield and did not use dew shields.

SGP set to take 2 minute exposures and camera temp set to -10C with gain of 100. I ended up with 161 images of 2 minutes but discarded several due to wind gusts.

SGP handled everything nicely, platesolving, autofocusing throughout the night, meridian flip, etc.

I used Pixinsight for all processing functions and utilized the HDR process to emphasize contrast.

M51 is about 31 million light year away. It has a mass of only about 10% of our Milky Way. M51's companion (NGC 195) is passing behind M51 and has been doing so for hundreds of millions of years.

Roger
M51 Master_DBEdiv_PCC_EzDN_ArcSinH_RSmask_Curves_HDR_EzSR_Curves.jpg
M51 Master_DBEdiv_PCC_EzDN_ArcSinH_RSmask_Curves_HDR_EzSR_Curves.jpg (14.93 MiB) Viewed 538 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

Unread post by Pete »

Lovely Roger. I envy you those distinctive colors. Maybe next time I dance with M51 I'll try cranking up the saturation?
Pete P.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Ever so popular and even at 31 million light years away, as you mentioned, is no excuse to ignore a galaxy just because you imaged it a few years ago. :D

You have learned quite a lot about imaging since then, and it really shows in this beautiful- artful- masterpiece you have displayed here. I think it's natural to go back to DSOs we have imaged before with older, possibly less sophisticated equipment, and then comeback to it to see what we can produce with our updated selves. That is certainly evident here. I'm really enjoying the view. :D

I think you are an inspiration for all of us in the club. Your skills and dedication to the night sky seemed to have developed at light speed over the years, and you ( along with Pete and Steve) have been more than happy to help others find their way to successful imaging.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Thanks for the comments.

This was one object that I really enjoyed processing. Just so much color and texture to work with.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.