Panorama Dob

Discussion and instructions for astronomy-related projects
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Panorama Dob

Unread post by bluemax »

The long winter ended with yet another Dob project. I've had a nice 6” F6 mirror and cell for a while and finally decided to make something of it. With various parts from Cloudy Nights Classifieds, a 7” stove pipe, 3/4” plywood, 1/8” 2'X3' vinyl sheet from Lowes, and various hardware, with basic Dob instructions from the Stellafane web site, the “Panorama Dob” was conceived. The melding of a classic Dob with graphics taken from club member imaging efforts, resulted in what might be deemed a unique appearing scope.
To keep the weight low, numerous lightening holes were cut out of the basic frame. Since Ebony Star is not available, a 16” long playing record from the 1940's was used at the base along with the usual teflon pads, I happened to have an old Telrad (which I always liked) so, installed it on top. A decent 2” focuser allows nice wide views with my Televue Panoptic eyepieces. This is my 4th and last Dob!
Thank you Roger, for allowing me to use your fine M42 image on the panoramic base. The scope images are NGC7822 and NGC281 “The Pacman Nebula” which I took last fall from light polluted Bristol.
Attachments
IMG_2455.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 4052 times
IMG_2460.jpg
IMG_2460.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 4052 times
IMG_2457.jpg
IMG_2457.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4052 times
Frank N

12.5" F5 single arm Dob

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: Panorama Dob

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Wow. Frank. That is a gorgeous product you created. I do hope you are going to display that at Stellafane.

Well done!

Tom
Tom H
Weeks turn into years, how quick they pass
And all the stars that never were
Are parking cars and pumping gas.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Frank,

However did you get those images onto the tubes??????
Pete P.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks Tom & Pete.
The images were printed on vinyl film by Fast Signs in Seekonk. You tell them the dimensions you need and they size it up, print it out and you get it with a paper backing which peels off as you apply to a surface. Tricky getting the bubbles out but the film has micro perforations which help somewhat. Normal film was not too durable so I opted for a clear coating which helps keep scratching to a minimum.
Frank N

12.5" F5 single arm Dob

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek »

That is quite fantastic, Frank.
Thank you for sharing your project with us.
"AstroGeek"
Steve L
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks Steve! Actually, a close up look shows my crappy wood work but the images are pretty cool.
Frank N

12.5" F5 single arm Dob

Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

That's a beautiful scope Frank, very creative!
Bruce D
Dr. Powell
10+ Years Member

Unread post by Dr. Powell »

Wow, Frank. I just found this post. What a beautiful scope you made. I am also jealous of your handyman skills. You are kind of like the James Dobson of ASSNE.

Mike
Mike
16 X 50 Binoculars
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks Dr. Powell, but actually, some would say I'm more of an astro version of MacGyver :lol:
Frank N

12.5" F5 single arm Dob

AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Dr. Powell, who's James Dobson?? :wink:
Steve L