New pier concept

Discussion and instructions for astronomy-related projects
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

New pier concept

Unread post by Pete »

Just came upon this Home Depot pier and thinking how neat. It'll adequately almost any scope and at end of life it disassembles.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EZ-Tube-5-S ... /300649621

Quite a bit pricier than using standard $2 8X8X16 cinder blocks but oh so clean a design. And a whole lot easier than messing with pouring concrete.
Pete P.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: New pier concept

Unread post by NGC7000 »

From the website:

Precast concrete is an ideal replacement for batch mixing or RMC

Lighter top sections allow secure and safe stacking

Sustains a load up to 135,000 lbs.

I think that could just about handle my mount. :lol:

Tom
Tom H
Weeks turn into years, how quick they pass
And all the stars that never were
Are parking cars and pumping gas.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Heck Tom it would almost support me!

A brilliant little idea, one of my concerns building an observatory is mis calculating the height of the pier relative the walls. But I find it hard to justify the cost, I'd be tempted to buy a couple bags of cement, a sonotube and slice it into 4 or 6 inch sections and make my own. Ok so call me thrifty...
Bruce D
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

I have seen one of these set up at my local Home Depot. Very smart design and I think for the material and the ease of use its well worth the money. I at first didn't think it would be sturdy being that the base is only 100lbs and the 5 stackables together are 300lbs. But this thing is sturdy. The big plus for observatories is that its not permanent and if you don't like where its sitting you can unstack it and move it.

My friend who was with me is a general contractor and he said that he could not make that same design for what they are charging for it. He said it would be a minimum of 300.00 for the same kind of design.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Pete, thanks for posting this. This is something I might consider using. I don't have room for an observatory, but could possibly use this to attach my mount along with power. I'd only need to attach my scope, camera, a few wires and I'd be off to the races. At the end of the night, could then just cover the whole thing or remove the scope, camera, disconnect a few wires and then cover the mount. Not the observatory solution but would save a lot of time.

--- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

BCS Feb04 Backyard Astro class 1.jpg
BCS Feb04 Backyard Astro class 1.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3921 times
I used a stand-alone pier in the backyard for about 5 years Chuck. Already comes precision aligned. Reduces setup effort by at least 50%. Subsequently moved the pier into the observatory.

This is the Feb 2004 Backyard Astronomy Class. With the old 12" on the pier. Note the electrical box housing a 120VAC duplex outlet.
Pete P.
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Thanks Pete and nice looking group. This project will need to wait till the spring. The time savings with setting up, leveling, PA, etc. and then tearing everything down will be a big plus.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

So would you envision using this as a permanent pier or instead of a tripod for field use?
Bruce D
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

To facilitate setup you want a permanently situated precision aligned pier equipped with a wedge and with an electrical box containing at least 2 duplex outlets. 3 or 4 duplex outlets is even better. This weatherproof setup simplifies setup by 50% right off the bat. Did it for years and it's the next best thing to having an observatory.

The next big step would be the capability to store the computer already mounted to go.

There are a number of versions of roll-away doghouse shelters. And you don't need a deck or concrete pad. Most folks store their scopes pointed horizontally. And most are disguised as a well house or something aesthetically similar. Lou D and Greg S have used this approach. Some folks convert big premade from Lowes garden sheds into roll-off roof setups but in truth one could make do with a tiny one where the complete structure simply rolls out of the way.

As far as convenience goes this is as good as having a full observatory. Not quite as comfortable but a small fraction of the cost.
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Pete

I just saw this. Very interesting concept. Building a pier is the most critical step in construction of an observatory.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.