A Year Without Stellafane

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Paul D
Equipment Manager

A Year Without Stellafane

Unread post by Paul D »

I thought that I would share some thoughts about a year without Stellafane. This would have been my 17 year in a row going to Stellafane and to be honest I will miss it this year. I looked forward to receiving that email notifying me that it was time to register for Stellafane. I then wait in anticipation for the week that I have off prior to Stellafane and the joy of preparing for the new Stellafane Olympics. Gathering all my charts and computer programs, testing all my equipment and packing my truck. It really is a lot of work on the level that I do this. But for me its rewarding and relaxing once I am in Springfield Vermont
Image35 by kyphoron, on Flickr
Image20170719_151623 by kyphoron, on Flickr

Once there camp goes up and it is again a lot of work, especially if it seems like we will be observing that night. The heat the sun and the sweat drains you. But you take the time to setup your telescope and as soon as night falls and the sky gets filled with stars I become revitalized.
Image20170721_091632 by kyphoron, on Flickr

The walk to the slop tent "as everyone affectionately calls the food tent" can lead to meeting a lot of old friends that you may have made over the years. Of course while walking to the slop tent you never know what you will run into. Maybe even a goat.
Image20170721_075758 by kyphoron, on Flickr
Image20160806_164526 by kyphoron, on Flickr

One of the days I looked forward to was Saturday morning and Paul F 4am wakeup call for the swap tables. After a night of observing it is sometimes very hard to roll out of that sleeping bag. But as the saying goes, "The early bird gets the worm" and in this case its true. The earlier you get to the tables the more treasures you can find.
ImagePaul&Mary by kyphoron, on Flickr
Image20170722_062223 by kyphoron, on Flickr

But really the one reason why I go to Stellafane each year is for the stories shared from previous years, the friendships that are made, and to remember those that are no longer with us or no longer attend.
ImageStellafane 2007 by kyphoron, on Flickr
Imageastroday2010-48 by kyphoron, on Flickr

I have come to realize that Stellafane for me is so much more then just a weekend camping in a tent and observing the heavens. It has created some of the best lasting memories that I will never forget and some of the greatest friends that I know. So yes I will definitely miss Stellafane this year. I will miss the sharing views in my eyepiece with others. But most of all I will miss laughing with my friends.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: A Year Without Stellafane

Unread post by Pete »

What a lovely reminiscence Paul. Thanks for the posting.
Pete P.
TimW

Unread post by TimW »

I've only been once back in 2018. I couldn't make it last year for reasons many of you know about and COVID-19 shut it down this year. You can bet money that when Stellafane returns, so will I.
Tim W.

Laurie J. Wood
March 22, 1967 - August 23, 2019
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.

Scope: 8" Celestron SCT on an AVX equatorial mount
Solar Scope: Lunt Solar System 60 mm Double-Stacked H-Alpha
Solar Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI174mm monochrome
Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI1600MC-Cool
Autoguide: PHD2
Image Capturing: SharpCap
DebayerIng: PIPP
Planetary Stacking: Autostakkert
Planetary Post Processing: Registax
Deep Sky Stacking: Deep Sky Stacker
Deep Sky Post Processing: Photoshop
Borg
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Borg »

Thanks so much brother Paul for posting this trend, Mary and I to will miss the camaraderie of good friends and the heavens above and also the swap tables always looking for a good deal. And yes when we all get together and sitting in the road in a circle and watch the shooting stars somethings are just so taken for granted. Hopefully my friends there will be next year looking forward For it!
Paul F, Celestron HD 9-1/4.Canon 60-DA.Explorer scientific 127 carbon fiber triplet.Atlas EQ6 hyper tuned.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

That was a beautiful posting, Paul, and thank you for it. We share some great memories unique to Stellafane. I find it very strange that I'm not packing my car to go,and complaining about the inevitable possibility of rain all the while. I would gladly do that now if we could.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Borg
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Borg »

You’re so right Tom how often we take things for granted we will miss this year but hopefully we will have next year and have a great time with great friends and take nothing for granted ever again! Every one stay safe God Bless my friend’s.
Paul F, Celestron HD 9-1/4.Canon 60-DA.Explorer scientific 127 carbon fiber triplet.Atlas EQ6 hyper tuned.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Most of all I miss the annual competitions. Here's last year's winner for "Best Dressed with Telescope".
Attachments
IMG_9214.jpg
IMG_9214.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 4698 times
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Borg
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Borg »

Good one yes he the Man!!