Orion Nebula processed with PixInsight

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

Orion Nebula processed with PixInsight

Unread post by menardre »

I finally worked my way through a couple of images processed with PixInsight. I have to say that I am amazed at what even the 'basic' processes of PixInsight can do. I used an old set of 'lights' for M42 to test PixInsight. I did this since I know that the Orion Nebula has a lot of structure and color so I thought that it would be a good test. After 'stretching' the combined images (remember that PixInsight does a lot of processing during the 'linear' i.e. pre-stretched phase). For this test I used the processes described in the 12 part 'basic PixInsight' video series. So I used the HDR function (which really does a great job bringing out details), Local Histogram Equalization to increase contrast, star shrink, adding saturation via curves and histogram transformation. I also did some background flattening. All of these processes utilize mask so that you either work on foreground or background.

I probably pushed the processing a bit just for demonstration purposes... but here is the result. And this is using only the basic processing tools.

Roger
M42 drizzle_stretched-1_HDR_curves_sat_clone.jpg
M42 drizzle_stretched-1_HDR_curves_sat_clone.jpg (11.74 MiB) Viewed 2375 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Orion Nebula processed with PixInsight

Unread post by Bruce D »

WOW Roger that's awesome!
Bruce D
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Not sure I've ever seen M42 with your lovely filament-like nebulosity. Was this an LGBR or a C image Rog? Being lazy I'm leaning toward picking up a ZWO color and hoping to achieve just a little of your M42 wonderfulness.
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

This image I took last year with ZWO ASI 071 color CMOS camera attached to 90mm refractor.. I took 40 images of 120 sec and -20C.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

I am so psyched with that An ASI 071 with a 90mm. Out testing my 14" with a simulated 11# piggyback on it tonight.
Pete P.
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Yes, really great result Roger. Do you have the original processed image you could add to show the difference in processing results? Thanks for sharing.

--- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Chuck wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:15 am Yes, really great result Roger. Do you have the original processed image you could add to show the difference in processing results? Thanks for sharing.

--- Chuck
Right! Who needs LRGB processing when a color camera can achieve this kind of image. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a ZWO ASI 294MC.
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

This is the same image processed by Images Plus ...

A few caveats:
1) I have been using Images Plus for a couple of years so I am familiar with at least some of the processing techniques
2) I have only scratched the surface with what Images Plus is capable of doing... I do not use any of its mask, deconvolution, advanced noise reduction functions
3) I have only used the PixInsight processes identified in the 12 videos on 'PixInsight for Beginners'. So once again I have barely scratched the surface of what PixInsight can do.

Roger

M42 ReProcessed compressed.jpg
M42 ReProcessed compressed.jpg (6.17 MiB) Viewed 2337 times
Roger M.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Freeware vs $270. Hmmm. Maybe you get what you pay for?
Pete P.