Stellafane 2020

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Stellafane 2020

Unread post by Paul D »

Today I received an email from Stellafane saying that they were delaying registration till June 1st instead of their normal May 1st registration day. I hope that we will be good to go in August but only time will tell. Hope all of you are safe and staying home.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: Stellafane 2020

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Paul-
I happened to visit the Stellafane site just yesterday, wondering how they were handling things, being that they were in VT. I have a feeling they will go on with it ( assuming we don't witness a resurgence) with many restrictions. I've been asking myself if I will be going if that is the case, and right now, I'm still not sure. You?
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

I'll go if they have it, social distancing is fairly easy at the campsite. The slop tent might pose some risk but I have avoided that for years anyway. The big question will be how Vermont feels about hundreds of people coming in from hotspots like NYC, New Jersey, MA
Bruce D
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Good point, Bruce. I hadn't thought about that. It becomes an especially significant point to ponder as one begins to think about ( or more particularly, need) the Port O- John. Hmm, I may sit this one out ( at home) after all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Just don't touch anything, you'll be fine. Could be best chance yet for the TV eyepieces!
Bruce D
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

In all honesty I don't think Stellafane will go on. New England right now is a hot zone and I don't see it coming down anytime soon. Especially with governors talking about easing restrictions. At this point I am weighing my options if it does happen. I have not decided what I will be doing at this point.

Porta Party, is a concern only because its a closed area and it is not exposed to sunlight. Slop tent is also another concern, to many people touching food and I am not sure that standards of cleanliness can be kept up under the cooking conditions of Stellafane. Yes sunlight/UV kills Covid 19 but then again UV kills people to.

Finally, if restrictions are eased but not lifted a visit to a neighboring state could lead you to a 14 day quarantine once you return. I know my job requires at this time that if I leave RI that I self quarantine for 14 days before returning to work.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)