Trip EEE

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Bruce D
Life Member

Trip EEE

Unread post by Bruce D »

Is anyone out observing, or not observing due to the EEE threat? I think I'm more fearful of being out and getting doused with the crap they are spraying-
Bruce D
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Re: Trip EEE

Unread post by Paul D »

They sprayed up in my area over the weekend. Personally I think with a bit of caution going out to observe should be safe. Besides in a few more weeks when we have our first frost they will all be dormant anyways. Remember mosquitos don't only bite at night and I am willing to bet that these people that were affected with Triple E were bit during the daylight hours.

Also with a bit of research, I found out that mosquitos are inactive at temperatures below 50 degrees. With a few days of below 50 degrees the mosquitos will enter their dormancy cycle.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
TimW

Unread post by TimW »

I live in EEE ground zero. While I don't get out as much as I used to due to working 6 days a week, when I do go I take extra precautions such as long sleeves, my bug zapping racquet and bug spray.
Tim W.

Laurie J. Wood
March 22, 1967 - August 23, 2019
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.

Scope: 8" Celestron SCT on an AVX equatorial mount
Solar Scope: Lunt Solar System 60 mm Double-Stacked H-Alpha
Solar Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI174mm monochrome
Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI1600MC-Cool
Autoguide: PHD2
Image Capturing: SharpCap
DebayerIng: PIPP
Planetary Stacking: Autostakkert
Planetary Post Processing: Registax
Deep Sky Stacking: Deep Sky Stacker
Deep Sky Post Processing: Photoshop
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

I've been out throughout the season and the threat and even got inadvertently doused one night when the spray plane flew directly overhead, well before dusk even. I've been keeping them at bay with bug spray and I'm glad that cooler weather is prevailing because like Paul already mentioned their activity gets seriously inhibited as the temps drop.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Looks like it might be cool enough tonight to be mosquito free. Hope to get out there. It's been a while, and yes, I was staying in to avoid the mosquitoes.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

It was a glorious one last night and I was out working on my DSC60 project - bug spray on - when the planes flew over at treetop level for at least the 3rd time this year. This is the worst I've ever seen the problem.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Long sleeves, socks pulled up outside my nylon long jogging pants, hooded sweatshirt with hood up and don't forget the Thermacell! I love that thing. I start it about 10/15 minutes before going out.
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968