Mars Opposition

Specific upcoming events: comets, meteors, supernovae, eclipses, etc.
Bruce D
Life Member

Mars Opposition

Unread post by Bruce D »

It looks like this summer's Mars opposition will be a good one, the best since 2003 which I remember vividly. For those of you new to the astronomy game, in astronomy "opposition" is used in reference to solar system objects that are further from the sun than us (Mars, Jupiter, sometimes the Moon). Opposition is the point in the object's orbit where it is opposite the sun's position from our perspective. A picture being worth more than a thousand words in this case...
Opposition.JPG
Opposition.JPG (14.98 KiB) Viewed 4779 times
NOT Opposition.JPG
NOT Opposition.JPG (15.84 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
The important thing about opposition to us is that when a planet is at opposition it is the closest it can get to us- and yes, in the case of Mars, it will look substantially larger to us. The difference in distance is signifigant, especially for a small planet like Mars. When Mars is way on the other side of the Sun it can be over 200,000,000 miles away (and looks tiny in a telescope)... but when Mars is at opposition it can be as close as 35,000,000 miles away (and YES it will look much larger in our telescopes).

Mars opposition will occur at the end of July this year (it happens every 2 years roughly) and the effect is most pronounced for a few weeks before to a few weeks after so be sure to plan to observe Mars mid-summer and for you imagers time to brush up on your planetary skills!
Bruce D
TimW

Re: Opposed

Unread post by TimW »

It won't make a huge difference given it's size and distance but Saturn will reach opposition on June 27th.
Tim W.

Laurie J. Wood
March 22, 1967 - August 23, 2019
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.

Scope: 8" Celestron SCT on an AVX equatorial mount
Solar Scope: Lunt Solar System 60 mm Double-Stacked H-Alpha
Solar Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI174mm monochrome
Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI1600MC-Cool
Autoguide: PHD2
Image Capturing: SharpCap
DebayerIng: PIPP
Planetary Stacking: Autostakkert
Planetary Post Processing: Registax
Deep Sky Stacking: Deep Sky Stacker
Deep Sky Post Processing: Photoshop
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks for the diagrams, Bruce. Can't get much clearer than that!

I was reading about how Cassini did the first accurate measurement of the scale of the solar system in 1672 by measuring the parallax of Mars at opposition. He sent his assistant, Richter, to the other end of the earth -- French Guiana -- while he stayed home in Paris. They synchronized their measurements of the position of Mars by using Jupiter's moons as their clock.
Andy
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Using Jupiter's moons as their clock... very clever those ancients!
Bruce D
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Thank you for illustrating Mars oposition. I find it fascinating that their calculations are in fact not that far off from the calculations with modern instrumentation. With all the obstacles they had they did pretty good. I'm looking forward to observatory Saturn and Mars.Jerry
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49