Changes in Latitude

liteboxbarry

Changes in Latitude

Unread post by liteboxbarry »

You may not think that a 20 degree change in distance from the equator makes much of a difference in how the sky shows its stars. It is only the difference of an outstretched arm, with pinky and thumb stretched as far apart as possible, but I swear to you the change in the height of planets, for instance, appears to be double or more that angle. After 6 weeks of sighting Mars in the skies of Southern New England, I had to crane my neck to find it hovering high over Honolulu. And while Jupiter was long gone from RI skies by mid-October, I found it hangin' with Mercury, low in the sunset glow off Waikiki on November 4th. Yes, we get the Southern Cross and Eta Carina here in springtime, and we lose the Big Dipper below the waves all fall. 20 degrees of separation is a lot, visually. Then, go below the equator and you may lose your astronomical senses! See you in the spring!
Barry P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Changes in Latitude

Unread post by Bruce D »

You probably won't have to shovel much snow in Hawaii either!
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Changes in Latitude

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Tell me again how this living in Hawaii thing works? :lol: I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Seriously though, 20* is a lot. It's almost half the distance to the equator from where we are. Mars is peaking at about 40* on the meridian now, which presumably puts is at about 60* where you are. Too bad it's gotten so small!
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras