last night

Thuban

last night

Unread post by Thuban » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:06 am

I don't know if anyone else got out last night but it was perfect in Taunton. Clear skies, good seeing. I usually judge good seeing if I can start seeing Milky Way and it was definitely one of the better nights. The dumbell nebula was bright and really popped against an inky dark sky. I tried using stellarium to navigate with instead of my normal paper maps. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was for me to locate objects once I had adjusted the limiting magnitude properly and also setup my scopes specs in the software. I also got some nice views of globulars and various star clusters and of course my favorite target Andromeda which I try to hit just about every night of observing. if you were out what did you see?
Mike C
Orion XT8 Dobsonian
Orion ST80 Equitorial
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: last night

Unread post by Pete » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:43 am

Summer nights are a roll of the dice when it comes to transparency. Good on you. I've not even been trying except for the planets.

Pete
Pete P.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:55 am

Yes, last night was perfect, but I was too darned tired to do anything about it. I did get out the night before though, which was nearly as good except for some increasing clouds late. I broke out the 12.5" and worked on the Stellafane Observing Olympics list, which I was late to learn about up at the event itself. On Sunday evening I saw seven objects from the list, including NGC's 6229, 6811, 6826, 6939, 7789, 457, and 654. I am pretty limited with regard to my horizons by the many trees surrounding my yard, so a trip to an open field under dark skies is in order.

The List and supporting documents can be found here; https://stellafane.org/convention/2016/ ... rving.html
Mike M.
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Indeed, last night was glorious!! I was out collecting images for a project I am working on. I have been out of the loop for a while, but now I am jumping back into astrophotography with both feet. Stay tuned...

Keep looking up!!

AstroGeek
Steve L
Thuban

Unread post by Thuban » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:31 pm

ooh thanks for the observing list very cool.
Mike C
Orion XT8 Dobsonian
Orion ST80 Equitorial