ISS transit of Luna on Thursday 10/24 13:00 hrs

Specific upcoming events: comets, meteors, supernovae, eclipses, etc.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

ISS transit of Luna on Thursday 10/24 13:00 hrs

Unread post by Pete »

The moon will be waning and only about 17% illuminated. And it's above my horizon. Anyone have any idea of what might be visible? Since the sun's high the ISS should be illuminated, so that's one question answered. BUT. Will it be visible in the sky? Against the night section of the moon? Against the day section of the moon? Never tried to observe this and have no idea if it's indeed visible.

Pete
Pete P.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: ISS transit of Luna on Thursday 10/24 13:00 hrs

Unread post by Apollo XX »

The Sun will be behind the ISS, so no illumination. The 17% waning crescent will provide just a small fraction of a second of silhouette view of the ISS passing by, so video capture will be the only practical method of catching it, and even then I'm thinking only a few frames would have it. If anyone can do this, it's you, Pete.
Screenshot_20191019-195724.png
Screenshot_20191019-195724.png (703.73 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

It didn't occur to me that the station is between the sun and the eyeball and so wouldn't be visible across the night section of the moon. Damn. Thanks for the observation Mike. Will probably try for it anyway but with a low probability of success.

Anyone wishing to join me or bring their own equipment. Plan on using the Orion 80mm short tube with the Celestron Neximage 5 camera as this setup has a 40° FOV. At full resolution I can only manage 5 fps as this is USB2. Maybe if the camera is binned 2X2...…..

Pete
Pete P.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

I saw your post on Facebook, Pete, and I noticed that the ISS was in fact illuminated for the pass. I guess I failed to recognize that with the solar panels adjusted to see the sun that we'd see that reflection down here. I also wonder if earthshine helped to illuminate it? Anyway, very cool. Awesome job!
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras