Random Fireball

Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Random Fireball

Unread post by Apollo XX » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:51 pm

So I was out walking the dog as I often do, well into darkness. It's always the same, she keeps her nose to the ground and I keep mine to the sky. To her there's lot of interesting stuff down there, and to me there's lot of interesting stuff up there. Works out pretty well, I think. She doesn't seem to mind when I stop dead in our tracks for an extended look at something, and I usually grant her the same courtesy. We were probably three quarters of the way around our usual route and heading dead east when all of a sudden a stunningly bright meteor lit up the night sky. It sizzled along on a trajectory from north to south and appeared to underscore the asterism of the pentagram in Auriga. Towards the end of its run into our atmosphere, there was a definite appearance of "sparking". I wouldn't quite call it dripping, but close. Just another random awesome sight in the sky.

Mike M.
Mike M.
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Random Fireball

Unread post by Bruce D » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 am

Great report Mike, sorry I missed the meteor! Heck, you have a talent with words that make me miss walking the dog! (I make the kids do it!)
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks Bruce! What is it that Bob M. always says..."Isn't serendipity wonderful"? It is, it is.

Mike
Mike M.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:40 pm

I found a report from somebody much more diligent than I, over on the American Meteor Society website. All told there were two reports of this particular event, both from Maine.

Observer
Name Jeffrey W.
Experience (1-5) 3
Comments: It came from outside my field of vision as I was driving. I thought it was a plane at first but it was too bright. Then it started changing colors, ruling out an aircraft.

Address Route 3, Ellsworth, ME, United States
Geo Loc. 44.539° | -68.458°
Altitude 43.323 meters
Time
Local Date & Time 2013-11-25 21:11:00 EST
UTC Date & Time 2013-11-26 02:11:00 UTC
Duration 3.50 sec.
Direction
Direction UpRightToDownLeft
Facing (bearing) 91°
First seen (bearing) 161°
First Altitude 62°