iOptron

A place to post informational content, reviews, and links on observing gear/hardware
DonB

iOptron

Unread post by DonB »

I presently own the iOptron A/Z pro mount and am very pleased with it. As with all computers, there is a learning curve that I am still working on. But the mount impressed me enough to consider the next step of securing their iEQ45 for longer exposures. Has anyone had expierence with this mount ?

Don :?: :?:
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: iOptron

Unread post by AndyG »

Hi Don,

Although I have not used that mount myself, I have often interacted with iEQ45 owners when supporting PHD2 Guiding in the PHD2 support forum.

What focal length and/or image scale (arc-seconds per pixel) are you planning on imaging at? Longer focal lengths and smaller images scales will be more demanding on the mount.

For long exposures you'll need to be guiding, and the limiting factors for effective guiding are the mount's RA periodic error and Declination backlash. At shorter focal lengths, you probably won't need to worry about those and the mount will be ok; if you go to longer focal length, you'll need to deal with those problems (especially the RA periodic error.)

Here is a well-written review that concludes that the mount is a good value for the price, and also discusses RA PE correction in detail.
Andy
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

OK, thanks Andy for the link to the review, it was very helpful. I just want to start out with maybe 5 to 10 minute exposures with my new 8" Orion astrograph. An 800mm focal length @ f/3.8. I will also will be using an Explorer Scientific 80mm, f/6,focal length 480mm. Eventually I may want to try my Celestron 8 @ prime focus witch probably will require the guiding. What I will now do is download the instruction manuel and study it before I order. Thanks again.

Don
--- Mark Twain

Celestron 8
Orion 8" Astrograph
rjbokleman

Unread post by rjbokleman »

Don,

Sorry I missed your post on this mount, as I've owned mine for over a year now.

I couldn't find a date on that article Andy pointed you to, but it looks like that was a review of the original mount. There were some issues with the original and iOptron released the iEQ45 Pro later to address them and offered a kit to the original owners to upgrade the mount.

I realize my post here is late and you've purchased the mount already. For the $, it's a great mount. Using it for AP with my 30lb AT130EDT setup or with my Celestron 8 EdgeHD...which I know you own as well, it works extremely well.

I may have an exceptional unit as sometimes they do vary a bit, but here's my PHD2 graph from 2/26/2017 while working on M81/M82 with the AT130EDT, Stellarvue 60EDS as my guide scope, and full AP load. The little bump at the end of the graph is simply a dither about to happen. :lol:
PHD2 Graph iEQ45 Pro w/AT130EDT
PHD2 Graph iEQ45 Pro w/AT130EDT
iEQ45Pro_SV60EDS_AT130EDT.jpg (77.5 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
You can see there's a slight PE error and I don't even bother to correct for it since it's so minor...it hasn't been worth the effort.
Ron B.
T5i/700D, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM, ASI174MM, XAGYL 7x36mm FW
Astronomik Deep-Sky(RGB), CLS, Ha, OIII, SII
SV60EDS 60mm f/5.5 APO
AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED Quadruplet
SW ProED 100mm f/9.0 Doublet APO
C8 EdgeHD, AT130EDT
AVX, iEQ45 Pro

http://www.astrobin.com/users/rjbokleman/
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

Thanks, Ron.

One of the reasons I picked iOptron is I can go to them in Woburn. When I ordered the iEQQ45, I requested and they complied, that they remove the mount from it's packaging and set up and down load any updates, which they did. It's been to cold to do much (at least for me), so I'm sitting here with a new mount, two new guide scopes, a new auto guider and a frozen tush, not the best combo. OH well, the equinox is only 10 days away, but then again this is New England. I am pretty sure I will also go the route you took with a "poor man's observatory". I believe the tri pier is a slick piece of equipment and is rock solid.

Don
--- Mark Twain

Celestron 8
Orion 8" Astrograph