WESTPORT UFO's!!!!

Rotorhead
Life Member

WESTPORT UFO's!!!!

Unread post by Rotorhead »

A group of us 'Connecticut Star Party rejects' could not resist the call of a perfect night, and five of us, Brian, Mark, Paul D, Joe B and myself, gathered on the spur of the moment at a little dark site in central Westport to do a little observing.

As good as the night was, we will never forget how it started. While we were still setting up and waiting for full darkness (I was still collimating and had a laser stuck in the focuser) when I heard one of the guys yell 'WHAT THE H___ IS THAT?????) and looked up to see a rapidly spreading cloud in the SW sky that looked like a huge pyramid lit from the top (think: Mothership from Stargate! :shock: ). It got huge really fast and then the light shut off, but the cloud remained for at least a half hour. A fire alarm at about the same time sent a large number of emergency vehicles down the road near us, and we were wondering what in the world had happened. Of course, five astronomers standing next to four telescopes, and nobody thought to put a scope on the object to identify it. If it had been Martians, we would have missed quite an opportunity! :oops:

However, Brian and I both found the news headline this morning, and it was only a rocket out of Wallops Island creating an artificial noctilucent cloud for research. Bummer. I was on the verge of calling the UFO Hunters to come out and help us... :lol: :lol:

A real observing report will follow. But I sure hope some of the other folks were out there to see it, perhaps the CSP was treated to the same visual treat, because it was really something! Let me tell you, it sure got our hearts thumping for a few minutes.

The story is at this link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,552 ... latestnews
Bob M
15" f5 Starsplitter Dob/80mm Finder
5" Explore Scientific triplet APO on a Vixen Sphinx GEM
________
"He numbers all the stars, and calls each one by name." Ps 147:4
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

"Strange lights in the sky" is what the lady from Channel 5 was describing to me at about 9pm last night. When I asked her to be more specific she asked someone further down her communication link and she said it was like a giant spotlight.

With the crystal clear sky and with Jupiter shining thru the dome shutter I told her they are probably seeing Jupiter. So much for accurate communication. Garbage in, garbage out.

Pete
Pete P.
Galactus
15+ Years Member

UFOs in Connecticut!!!

Unread post by Galactus »

Here is a photo which I took at the Connecticut Star Party. I can only presume it was Black Brant XII. :shock: 8)

I was the only one to get a photo as I was creating the photo below(note the remnant of the cloud in the upper right corner in the photo below) and was about to hit the shutter when the sky lit up and I swiveled on one of the legs of my tripod and pointed at the bright object lighting the sky . :D

I became well known at the CSP and received many email requests for the photo. Near as I can figure, since I was using autofocus capabilities of my camera, the focus moved to the bright, moving objects and the stars (note the shape of Sagittarius), being slightly out of focus, took on the aspects of the brightest object on the Canon Digital Xti camera shutter plane...

Last edited by Galactus on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galactus, Devourer of Worlds
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
66mm AT Guide Scope, cameras, etc.
25X100 Zhumell Binos w/Pete's Pipes
Bolt of Light Technologies Laser
Friends to observe with=Priceless
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

By George he got it... Really a photo by George. Great photo and the ONLY one I know of..
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

WOW!! You did a fantastic job of capturing this rocket release George!!
Very quick reflexes indeed. GREAT job!

By the way, the butterflies were caused by a slight bump during exposure. But SO WHAT!!

Bill G.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Galactus
15+ Years Member

OK, butterflies! Thanks, Bill! I knew that aperture shapes often get imposed upon out of focused highlights or pinpoints (stars) of light. I thought the shapes were mimicking the rocket split plume...but the idea of a bump during exposure, making the stars "jump," makes more sense. Thanks for your experience and knowledge in solving that mystery... :wink:

Paul--and Bill...in a field full of 150 astronomers with cameras of all kinds, I was in the position of just about to trip the shutter when an unexpected, highly surprising, very brief, one of a kind event occured, shocking most of us into immobility--me too!--but I got the shot after (very briefly) considering letting it go as I "surely wasn't going to get in time..." it was the right place, right time... Luck, and little skill... :wink: But I am glad it was me! :lol:
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
Galactus
15+ Years Member

I just learned from T.J. DelSanto that Tony Petrarca channel 12 WPRI may use the photo in their weather segment on Monday.
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Very, very COOL, George! 8) 8) 8) :D

BG
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Galactus
15+ Years Member

Greg Barker and Dan Wright of ASNH sent the link and suggested the submission to Spaceweather.com

http://spaceweather.com/submissions/lar ... 575785.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb45uBaj ... re=related
AKA, George H
8" Meade LX90
Joe B

Unread post by Joe B »

Fantastic shot George.That is still amazing to look at.I am glad you got a pic of it.
Joe

10" Hardin Dob
12" f5 Antares Dob
Classic 10" Cave
------------------------
Some people are like Slinkey's.Totaly useless ,but they sure put a smile on youre face when you push them down the stairs.