Markarian's Chain and the Flower Moon

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Markarian's Chain and the Flower Moon

Unread post by Pete »

22 May 2024

Haven’t been out since April 24th. Once again, there’s a full moon tonight. But the sky is clear. Going to take a shot at the Virgo Cluster.

Doing an initial stretch in ImagesPlus… Well, this really sucks.
Virgo light problem.jpg
Virgo light problem.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 10571 times
The camera is shrouded, and the exposures were made in a darkened observatory with monitor off and no light visible. Moonlight maybe. Or flats? Or just a bright sky?

PhotoShop to the rescue.
Virgo uncropped s.jpg
Virgo uncropped s.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 10571 times
Markarian’s Chain section of the Virgo Galaxy Cluster
22 May 2024 21:11 – 23:32 EDT
46 X 3 min, unbinned, -5°C cooling, 200 gain, 2 Hz guide rate
Explore Scientific 102mm refractor with ASI2600MC-P camera LP filter not used

Observations and lessons learned:

After all of my years of imaging I still can’t nail down this light problem. But note that it usually happens with a bright moon.

Experienced a very heavy dew fall. While a dome reduces the radiation cooling associated with dew formation, this was really damp and I’m surprised that the objective of the Explore Scientific refractor apparently remained clear.

I’ve imaged the Chain before but can’t locate the image for comparison. Do recall that previously I didn’t capture the last galaxy in the “tail”.

Guiding was spot on all night. And with the ASCOM setup there was no need to calibrate before initiating guiding.

Processing note: my 32GB and 64GB thumb drives would not accept the lunar AVI files. Error message said file size exceeds available memory. Problem was format. Changed flash drive format from Fat32 / 4kb to NTFS / 16 GB and was able to transfer the files.

23 May 2024 – the Flower Moon

Contrary to forecasts the sky has stayed clear ‘till midnight. The breeze experienced earlier this evening has died. The moon looks full, and checking things out it’ll be full at 09:30 this morning. So I’m calling it a full moon.
Flower Moon s.jpg
Flower Moon s.jpg (826.66 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
The Flower Moon
23 May 2024 00:13 EDT
Best 10% of 5,000 frames, -5°C cooling, 200 gain, 2 Hz guide rate
AVI capture set for 8 RGB
Explore Scientific 102mm refractor with ASI2600MC-P camera LP filter not used

In at 00:23. It’s still a gentle 60°F.

Happy days. Happy nights :D
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Re: Markarian's Chain and the Flower Moon

Unread post by menardre »

Pete

I really like your photoshop version of the Markarian's chain. And I am glad you picked this galaxy cluster. I have always wanted to image the chain.

Looks like a couple of 'bubbles' in the Images Plus version. Did you take flats???

I know that it takes some processing to account for 'background problems'. I have to do a couple of processing steps using PixInsight to account for background problems.

Nice job especially given the conditions.

Roger.
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: Markarian's Chain and the Flower Moon

Unread post by Pete »

I did take flats and dark flats Roger. It's an ongoing puzzlement.
Pete P.