NGC7000 new proccesing versions

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
bluemax
10+ Years Member

NGC7000 new proccesing versions

Unread post by bluemax »

Having fun re-processing NGC7000 using I.P. These were taken from Bristol last fall with Skyguider Pro and 180mm Nikon lens on modded Canon rebel. This is my second attempt at combining Ha and regular exposures. Any comments on which one is better? Or, are they both crap?
Attachments
Redone Final combine NGC7000.jpg
Redone Final combine NGC7000.jpg (9.35 MiB) Viewed 62618 times
NGC7000 IP process.jpg
NGC7000 IP process.jpg (6.26 MiB) Viewed 62618 times
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
mark.m
President

Re: NGC7000 new proccesing versions

Unread post by mark.m »

I like both of them! I'm a "star guy" and like anything with lots of stars.

How do you combine the Ha with the traditional RGB images? Do you map the Ha to a red color (as the eye would see it), or do you use one of the "wonky" palettes like Hubble uses? (I think they often map Ha to a green rendering, which is striking but very non-natural to the human eye.)

- Mark
Mark M, AJ1B
Portsmouth, RI
Celestron 14" and Meade 10" SCTs
QHY268M + SBIG ST-9
GM2000 (10Micron)
American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) observer code: MMU
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

More nebulosity in the second. How much exposure???
Pete P.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Mark, I used a tool in IP which allows you to re-size the images (needed to combine) and then combine. I tried other methods like Deep Sky Stacker, but could not make it work because the size must be the same. Yes, converted the Ha subs to "red" looking before combining.

Pete, The Ha was 4 hours @ 5 minute (Skyguider Pro with guidescope) while the normal subs were 4 hours @ 2 minutes on two different nights. In my light polluted area, the Ha was no issue because Ha doesn't care about those photons. With the normal subs (I used a UV/IR filter for the pollution) I typically use 2 minutes so as not to capture too much local light. With the Skyguider, it is a task to get the two nights' work to be aligned, as this rig is not Go-To.

I copied some of Rogers' methods in exposing for only 2 minutes so as to reduce the pollution effects. At Stellafane or Arunah Hill, I go 4 or 5 minutes with no issues.
Frank N

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Here is another version of the NGC7000 that I recently posted.

Mike M. used the "Auto White Balance" tool in GIMP to brighten it up and I like what he did. Thanks for adding to my knowledge base Mike!

So, the process in summary: IP ArcSinH for initial stretch, Star Size Reduction, Halo Shape Reduction, Sharpening and Texture Enhancement, Resize and Combine. Then Mike added the GIMP tool.
Attachments
1708893853240blob(2).jpg
1708893853240blob(2).jpg (10.93 MiB) Viewed 62513 times
Frank N