IC 361 Open Cluster

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

IC 361 Open Cluster

Unread post by menardre »

A few nights ago had a problem with my computer connecting to my CEM120 mount. I kept getting a notice 'cannot find a supported iOptron device'. I tried using a different USB cable, a different USB port, turning off/on the mount and computer. None of those efforts fixed the problem. Watching the computers 'device manager' I could tell that when I plug the CEM120 USB cable in, I could see the appropriate COM port activated, so I know my computer was connecting. I e-mailed iOptron tech support. After a couple of e-mails, they suggested I completely uninstall iOptron Commander software, shutdown the computer, and then restart. Then re-install the latest version of Commander. This actually worked! For a while I was contemplating driving the mount to their facility in Woburn.

While I was going though this troubleshooting, I also tried to connect to the mount with a new computer that I had bought to replace my observatory computer. I was having intermittent problems with my old computer and last fall decided to replace it. There were nights when my observatory computer would simply 'hang-up' and stop working right in the middle of an all-night imaging session --- very frustrating. I had previously installed all of the software and drivers onto the new computer. I was able to connect to the mount with the new computer. Since I had all of the software and ASCOM drivers installed, I decided to give it a real life test last night. Since it is almost a full Moon, I decided to use the new computer to image the open cluster IC 361. It is in Camelopardalis, so it is fairly distant from the Moon. Surprise, surprise...everything worked the 1st time.

So I took 80 images of IC 361 (2 minutes binned 1x1, -20C, gain 100).

IC 361 is actually a very nice open cluster.

Roger
IC 361 Master_DBE_SPCC_BXT_NXT_GHS_Curves_MLTsharp.jpg
IC 361 Master_DBE_SPCC_BXT_NXT_GHS_Curves_MLTsharp.jpg (20.1 MiB) Viewed 63455 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: IC 361 Open Cluster

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Glad to hear you were able to straighten out what sounded like a familiar dilemma that eventually happens to all who innocently pass through the gates of AstroImaging. "Abandon all hope ye who..." and so on. :)

I salute your fine efforts with that helluva glaring moon last night, Nice results in spite of it.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Tom

Thanks. I always said that if astrophotography was easy, anyone could do it. Every now and then we all have to work through difficulties.

The positive side of this is that it forced me to retire my old computer and spend the time with the replacement. Having the bright Moon forced me to image something like a star cluster, which was actually beneficial since I could image the open cluster in just a couple of hours. Long enough to do a good test on the new computer, but short enough to get a decent nights sleep.

Thanks again,

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Roger, I had a similar issue with my trusty laptop which served me for years. It connected alright but froze up occasionally during a long night of imaging with SGP ( I, nice and warm in the house though) So frustrating when you go out after the session should be done, to find it froze part way through. ARRRGGHH! It also would freeze up during long processing routines.
A new laptop took care of it but the trials of reloading all that software is a real pain in the butt. Your IC361 is nice. I have a bunch of images on my repeating screen saver and your M52 and NGC7789 showed up...how nice these two are! Thanks for sharing.
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
mark.m
President

Unread post by mark.m »

I had a recent experience with cables that froze.

Literally.

I had purchased some inexpensive USB cables on Amazon, and when the temperature went down into the teens the cheap insulation became brittle and started flaking off whenever I slewed the telescope, causing the cables to flex.

Lesson learned.

- Mark
Mark M, AJ1B
Portsmouth, RI
Celestron 14" and Meade 10" SCTs
QHY268M + SBIG ST-9
GM2000 (10Micron)
American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) observer code: MMU