NGC 1624 (Sharpless 212) Emission Nebula & Open Cluster

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

NGC 1624 (Sharpless 212) Emission Nebula & Open Cluster

Unread post by menardre »

Last night was a really nice, crisp night. I imaged NGC 1624 in 2021, but was only able to capture 7 frames. So I decided to give it another shot.
NGC 1624 is in Perseus, so it is low in the Eastern sky at nightfall. So low in fact that I had to wait until 7:25PM. The monitor in my observatory was not working so I had to run everything remotely from my home office.

NGC 1624 is fairly dim, so I had to take 4 minute subs. Even then, I could not see any sign of the nebula in each sub.
I used my 11 inch Celestron SCT and ZWO ASI2600 OSC set for -20C, gain of 100. 90mm refractor with ZWO ASI290 used for autoguiding.

SGP4 used to control everything and perform platesolving (using ASTAP). I ended my imaging session round 3:30AM with the bright Moon high in the sky. I then took 50 flats (0.05 seconds).

I had just recently updated my darks/biases library for -20C frames, so I used them in the processing.
Processing was with PixInsight. Most of the standard (for me) techniques were used however I did also use an HDR process to provide greater contrast within the nebula.

NGC 1624 is less than 4 million years old. It includes both the star cluster and nebula and is located in an area of massive star formation.
Along with Sh2-211 it makes up what is now known as the 'Trible Nebulae" named after the little furry creatures introduced in a Star Trek episode.

Roger

NGC 1624 Master_DBE_SPCC._BXT_NXT_GHS_Curves_MLTsharp_SR_GAME_CurvesBlue_HDR_MLTsharp_Crop.jpg
NGC 1624 Master_DBE_SPCC._BXT_NXT_GHS_Curves_MLTsharp_SR_GAME_CurvesBlue_HDR_MLTsharp_Crop.jpg (5.72 MiB) Viewed 4408 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: NGC 1624 (Sharpless 212) Emission Nebula & Open Cluster

Unread post by Pete »

Hi Rog,

Once again wonderful pinpoint stars at a relatively long focal length.

I'm still out of commission for imaging but the replacement computer system's coming along. Would like to implement ASCOM communications but to expedite matters it looks like I'll be using the previous slower setup and attempt ASCOM once back in operation. That 27" monitor you told me to buy only cost $127 from B&H Photo an is it impressive!
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Re: NGC 1624 (Sharpless 212) Emission Nebula & Open Cluster

Unread post by menardre »

Pete

Thanks...

Glad to hear that your system is starting to come together. I know how bummed out I get when I cannot use my observatory due to hardware/software issues.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.