Perseid Meteor shower

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

Perseid Meteor shower

Unread post by menardre »

The Perseid Meteor shower is at its peak.... but the skies are cloudy. I did mange to go out on Friday night (August 11th) since it was clear for most of the night.

I took about 1200 exposures using a Nikon D750 DSLR and Rokinon 14mm lens on a standard camera tripod. The Nikon has a built-in intervelometer so I was able to set the camera to take 20 second exposures every 21 seconds. I let this run all night. To combat dew, I have a lens muff which Velcros around the lens and I use hand-harmers in the lens muff to keep the lens warmer than the air. The wonders of the digital age--- can you imagine doing this with a film camera!!

There was a period of time with high clouds. I also stayed outside for a while to see if I could visually see a 'shooting star'. I did manage to see 3 ..one of which was very unusual. All other 'shooting stars' appear as a streak across the night sky. This one (I assume it was a meteor) simply looked like a supernova blowing up and then disappearing. This could be a meteor coming straight at the Earth rather than arcing.

Attached is the best of the 4 meteors that I captured. That leaves me with 1196 images with no meteors (but lots of planes and satellites. Free for anyone who wants one.

Roger
Attachments
Perseid Shower 2023-1.jpg
Perseid Shower 2023-1.jpg (4.65 MiB) Viewed 1395 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.