Improved spectroscopy

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Improved spectroscopy

Unread post by Pete »

Sunday, 6 Aug 2023

Had an epiphany regarding the poor resolution on Vega back on 8/2. The filter box setup for imaging and the filter box setup for spectroscopy are very different. I’d dropped the grating into the filter box when the box was positioned and configured for M16. The short spacing resulted in a resolution of only 15 Ao per pixel

The night is calm and the moon is down Cloud’s coming in but spectro works when imaging would be out of the question. And since long exposure’s not necessary I can beat the cloud while taking another run at spectroscopy.

Vega (Alpha Lyrae) is a Blue/White Main Sequence (type A0Va) star that’s only halfway through its one billion-year lifetime, and still in the process of fusing hydrogen into helium. It is about 40 times more luminous than the Sun, as it is using up its hydrogen fuel about ten times faster. Vega is also about 2.1 times more massive than our sun, but only 0.54% of its total mass consists of elements heavier than helium. 25 LY from Earth. It’s a very hot 10,060° K. With a visual magnitude of +0.03 Vega is the fifth brightest star in the night sky.

And here’s the final star profile at my refractor’s maximum resolution of 3.5 Ao per pixel:
Vega calibrated profile vs library type a0v curve 3800A - 6800A.jpg
Vega calibrated profile vs library type a0v curve 3800A - 6800A.jpg (229.92 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Vega 21:09 hrs, 6 Aug 2023 3120 X 2088 pixel capture area used for all work tonight.

For comparison, here’s the comparative low resolution results from 8/2: The data falls off below 4350 Ao and the absorption lines are shallow.
Vega calibrated profile vs A0v std profile.jpg
Vega calibrated profile vs A0v std profile.jpg (75.44 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
So while I’m not doing quasar redshift I’m still in the game with conventional low resolution spectroscopy.

The sky is holding. And the resolution is optimized for the first time. Can’t stretch grating distance more than another 5mm before the scope runs out of focus.

Playing around with camera settings while observing video of the spectrum it’s observed that gain settings over 100 result in very noisy curves.
Etamin imaged at 8 seconds, 100 gain, - 5° C with no guiding.

Etamin (Gamma Draco) is an evolved giant star with a visual magnitude of 2.2 This orange type K5 III star is located in the right eye of the Dragon It has 72% more mass than the Sun and it has expanded to around 48 times the Sun's girth. It is radiating about 471 times as much luminosity as the Sun from its outer atmosphere at an effective temperature of 3,930 K. This is cooler than the Sun, giving this star the orange-hued glow of a K-type star. 154 LY distant.
Etamin calibrated profile vs F5 library profile.jpg
Etamin calibrated profile vs F5 library profile.jpg (84.05 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Sadr (Gamma Cygni) is a type FB8 supergiant star, appearing yellowish-white in color. At 2.23 apparent magnitude Sadr is the second brightest star in the constellation of Cygnus, after Deneb. Although only around 12 million years old, it has evolved away from the main-sequence and it will eventually go supernova. Distance from Earth is around 1,800 LY. Sadar is 12 solar masses but is 33,000 times brighter than our Sun. The average surface temperatures on Sadr are very similar to our Sun’s, at around 6,100 K. Sadr is the primary component of a multiple star system cataloged as WDS J20222+4015A, and if I knew more about this I might be looking at a scientific application.
Sadr calibrated profile.jpg
Sadr calibrated profile.jpg (163.43 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

I was fascinated to learn that there is no relationship between color and size. For example, a red star can be large or small. Small stars are more energy efficient than larger stars and live longer.

Rasalhague is a blue-white giant star - spectral type of A5III. It’s 46 LY distant and has avisual magnitude of 2.08 At 7,960 Kelvin it’s hotter than our Sun (5,777 Kelvin). And with only twice the mass of Sol it has 25 times the luminosity. Distance is 46 LY and age is estimated at 910 million years.
Rasalhague calibrated profile.jpg
Rasalhague calibrated profile.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Observations and lessons learned:

-5°C, RGB24 color, PNG format and 3120 X 2088 pixel capture area used for all work tonight. I believe that the gain setting on Vega was 0 and on the rest it was 100.

Now that I’ve got things working the question is what, if anything, I’m going to do with this technology.

hgp
Pete P.