M38 and NGC 1907 Open Clusetrs

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

M38 and NGC 1907 Open Clusetrs

Unread post by menardre »

Last night the Moon was just about full and the sky was bright so I decided to image the open cluster M38. This is actually an interesting area in Auriga since the smaller and more compact open cluster NGC 1907 is nearby. The area is also full of nebulous regions.

I used SVX130 refractor and ZWO ASI2600 OSC camera. I just finished taking the camera apart and cleaning the sensor since thermal grease had leaked onto the sensor. SV90 and ZWO ASI290 used for autoguiding. SGP managed all of the equipment.

Since the sky was bright and there were wind gusts, I started the night by taking 1 minute exposures. After 2 hours of 1 minute exposures, I switched to 2 minute exposures for another hour. I then took 50 flats (0,1 sec). My hope was to try and capture some of the nebulous region.

Image processing this object was much harder than expected. Getting a decent image of the open clusters was easy, but trying to pull out the nebulous region (lower left) was a challenge. I tried several different stretching processes, and was only able to show faint red nebula. If I ever decide to re-image this area, I will have to do so when the sky is dark, and I can afford to take longer exposures.

The good news is that I looks like cleaning the sensor solved the problem of the thermal grease leakage.

M38, also known as the Starfish cluster or NGC 1912, is an open cluster in Auriga. The smaller open cluster NGC 1907 apparently originated in different parts of the galaxy and is doing a 'fly-by'.

Roger
M38 Master_SPCC_BXT_NXT_HT_Sat_Sat.jpg
M38 Master_SPCC_BXT_NXT_HT_Sat_Sat.jpg (11.33 MiB) Viewed 1025 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Re: M38 and NGC 1907 Open Clusetrs

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Nice job, Roger, in spite of the full moon.
And, YES, I can see the starfish!!
Steve L
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

A lovely image Roger. Not surprised that you have problems with the faint nebulosity only some 60° from the 97% phase moon. I'd been thinking of M38 myself but only briefly before seeing just how high Luna was.
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Steve/Pete
Thanks.

When the Moon is bright about the only thing that I can safely image is an open cluster.

Someday I will get around to learning how to image the Moon and planets like you guys do.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.