Comet C2022 E3 ZTF ... finally

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

Comet C2022 E3 ZTF ... finally

Unread post by menardre »

January was a terrible month. I did no imaging in January (cloudy weather) and only had one observing night.

Last night I was finally able to go out and try and observe and image the new comet (C2022 E3 ZTF). The Moon was very bright which made spotting the comet difficult. I started by doing a 3 star alignment on my CEM120 mount. I then used Skytools4 on my computer to connect to the mount and command it to slew to the comet. The slew was off just slightly but I was able to find the comet. Using 11 inch SCT and 40 mm eyepiece I could easily see the comet. It had a bright core and fairly large 'halo; I could not detect any tail. I then tried my Vixen 10x50 bino. I sighted down the barrel of the scope and easily found the comet in my bino. It was actually a decent sight, but still no obvious tail.

So I decided to try and image the comet. So I installed my ZWO ASI290 on the 90mm refractor for autoguiding, and installed ZWO ASI2600 on the 5 inch refractor for imaging. After PHD2 calibration, guiding was good. Used SGP to connect all equipment and manage the process including focusing.
I started taking 1 minute exposures. The comet was very bright in the 1 minute exposure. After taking several images it became apparent that the comet was moving so fast that I would not be able to stack the comet images without blurring the comet. So I decided to try my luck at various exposures, 10 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec, 1 minute. My plan was to maybe process enough to show comet movement.

But I still wanted at least one decent image of the comet. So I took one of the 1 minute exposures and decided to do my best with PixInsight.
I recently added processes from Russell Croman Astrophotography for deconvolution, noise reduction, and star removal. I also added the new Generalized Hyperbolic Stretch function. I find these tools so valuable that I am in the process of re-processing many of my older images...by I digress.

Using only a single 1 minute exposure I went through my normal image processing routine without having to perform all of the steps leading to 'stacking'. I then used the new SpectroPhotometricColorCalibration tool to perform color balance, the BlurXterminator tool to do deconvolution, the NoiseXterminator tool to reduce noise, and the StarXterminator tool to make a starless image and an image with only stars. This allowed me to work on the comet totally independent of the stars. At that point I used the GeneralizedHyperbolicStretch function to perform the stretch. Then I used 'curves' to enhance and a MultiScaleLinear transform to sharpen. I then went back to the 'stars only' image and used HistogramTransform to stretch. Lastly I used PixelMath to add the two images together.

Sounds like a long process but it took about 30 minutes.

So ... here it is... not bad for a single 1 minute exposure. And it really is green!! I plan on working with other images and maybe try to generate a time-lapse video.

Roger
Comet_C2022_E3_ZTF.jpg
Comet_C2022_E3_ZTF.jpg (15.66 MiB) Viewed 852 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: Comet C2022 E3 ZTF ... finally

Unread post by Pete »

Crazy good for a single 60 second exposure. C2022 E3 was moving at a great rate on Monday night and I was still able to stack an hour's worth of frames over a period of an one hour.

Your processing is also crazy complex for complex to me. But you achieved a better image in 1/60 of the time.

Filtered?
Pete P.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Very nice, Roger. Wonderful that you could get out there and capture it.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek »

That's a beautiful shot, Roger.
Steve L
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Thanks all..

I hope to get at least one more chance at observing and imaging the comet in the next week or so.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.