NGC 7479 A tale of Two Nights

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

NGC 7479 A tale of Two Nights

Unread post by menardre »

While scanning through SkyTools4, I found a very interesting galaxy in Pegasus ..NGC 7479 sometimes called 'The Propeller Galaxy". I decided to try and image NGC 7479. The problem is that it is very close to the meridian at the start of the night so imaging time is reduced. I tried to image NGC 7479 on Nov 25th. It was very windy that night with gusts over 25 MPH. Imaging was difficult even with a wind shield in place.

I used my 11 inch SCT with ZWO ASI2600 OSC camera. SVX130 refractor and ZWO ASI290 used for autoguiding. Unlike the previous night, all equipment and software worked perfectly. I was only able to capture 120 images (2 minute subs, -10C, gain 100, binned 1x1) before the object was too low in the west. I then processed the images and found several were impacted by wind gusts. I was only able to use 105 images for processing, and many of those were not the best. The result was decent but I thought I could do better.

This is such an interesting object that I though I would give it another go.
So last night I used the sequence that I had stored in SGP from the previous night to continue imaging NGC 7479. SGP allows you to save your sequence for future use. This makes it easy to pick up were you stopped on previous nights - days, weeks, or even years later.
I used the same setup, but last night the wind was minimal. I started imaging around 6Pm and shutdown around midnight (however after about 11PM the scope was pointing too low). I took 159 images.

I processed the first night using Pixinsight, then processed the combined images from Nov 25th & Nov 26th. When processing the combined images I was able to be much more selective, only keeping those images that were fairly round, streak free. This left me with 186 good images for processing. I used the same processing techniques for both nights images.

The one thing that bothered me in the image from Nov 25th is that the stars are 'distorted'. That is one of the reasons I decided to try again. I think the combined image improves on the stars, while also brining out a little more detail in the galaxy. While not a tremendous improvement, I think the extra imaging time was worth the effort.

Roger

The first image is from Nov 25th .....
NGC 7479 Spiral Galaxy.jpg
NGC 7479 Spiral Galaxy.jpg (4.78 MiB) Viewed 407 times
The second image is combining the data from Nov 25th and Nov 26th .... both images cropped about 30%

NGC 7479 propeller galaxy.jpg
NGC 7479 propeller galaxy.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 407 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Re: NGC 7479 A tale of Two Nights

Unread post by AstroGeek »

WOW!!
Beautifully done. Love the colors.
Steve L
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

For something only 4' X 3' in size you've achieved huge detail. Am jealous.
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Pete

Thanks... It took two nights, but I really did want to see if I could capture the fairly unique spiral arms.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

I wouldn't even try. That tough.
Pete P.