NGC 7814 Little Sombrero

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

NGC 7814 Little Sombrero

Unread post by menardre »

Last night was a bit of a struggle. I got out to the observatory around 6:40 with the intent of imaging the spiral galaxy NGC 7814. I found this galaxy using SkyTools4.

Start-up procedure went good until I started SGP and tried to connect my CEM120 mount. No luck- it would just not recognize my mount.
I had to shut everything down and restart. Then I was able to connect to all of the equipment.
So I then proceeded to setup everything for imaging NGC 7814, including platesolving. Again everything went well. When I started to gather images I noticed that the autoguider was not tracking well.... actually not at all. So I reset the autoguider and then did a calibration...which failed. I then tried another calibration using only 1 selected star vice multiple stars. This worked. My only guess is that the guider may have tried to guide on a hot pixel (even though I had previously done a dark library). So, now that the autoguiding was working, back to SGP. This time everything seemed to work fine. I started gathering images. NGC 7814 is in Pegasus which by the time I started imaging was only about 30 minutes from the meridian. So I decided to watch the entire meridian flip process, just in case there was another problem. SGP handled the meridian flip easily and continued on to finish the sequence.

I am sure that you all have had similar experiences.

I was 'only' able to capture 120 images (2 minute subs, -20C, gain 100, binned 1x1) before the West wall of my observatory interfered. Actually, the last 10 images were found to be unusable as well -- for the same reason.

NGC 7814 is a spiral galaxy in Pegasus. It is commonly known as the 'Little Sombrero' since it is seen edge-on like the 'Sombrero Galaxy' (M104) . You can also see the spiral galaxy IC 5381 in the frame above NGC 7814.

Roger
NGC 7814 Master_DBEdiv_PCC_ArcSinh_NXT._GAME_HTbg_Curves_HDR_MLT5321_SR_MLTNR_annotate.jpg
NGC 7814 Master_DBEdiv_PCC_ArcSinh_NXT._GAME_HTbg_Curves_HDR_MLT5321_SR_MLTNR_annotate.jpg (8.25 MiB) Viewed 276 times
NGC 7814 Spiral Galaxy.jpg
NGC 7814 Spiral Galaxy.jpg (9.47 MiB) Viewed 276 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.