SOCAL Images

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

SOCAL Images

Unread post by NGC7000 »

I was thrilled to be under the Western skies again.

IC1396, NGC7000 area, and the Veil Group taken with my portable setup. iOptron Skytracker on a light tripod with the Nikon D5300 and Nikon F3.5 lens. Some images combined with L Enhance Filter, So both ISO 400 3minutes, and ISO 1600 3 minutes. No Flats or Darks, the lack of which do show badly in the Veil Group Image. Not too bad for near 85 degree night time temps.

Because of the changing environment of my viewing spot, I could no longer image the southern sky ( local airport lights nearby and a truck road). I pretty much imaged the same targets as last year. Not complaining, just that it may look familiar, but hopefully, not boring. :lol:
Attachments
CV_Veil Group End.JPG
CV_Veil Group End.JPG (930.56 KiB) Viewed 565 times
CV_NGCRegion end.JPG
CV_NGCRegion end.JPG (8.35 MiB) Viewed 565 times
CV_IC1396 endagain.JPG
CV_IC1396 endagain.JPG (12.23 MiB) Viewed 565 times
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Re: SOCAL Images

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Tom,in spite of not having the best of conditions it sounds like you were enjoying yourself doing it. Jerry :mrgreen:
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Tom

I am impressed... really nice shots, especially NGC 7000.

I really love wide field imaging... and you did it so well !!

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Nice wide angle stuff Tom! You mentioned L-enhance....is that filter the reason for all the nice reds in NGC7000 area?
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Thanks, guys, for the nice comments.

Frank, all the images were with the use of the L Enhance filter. The NGC7000 and the IC1396 were combos of filter and non-filter.

In order to '"see" the Elephant Trunk", I had to manipulate the image so it would contrast enough with the background, and so I lowered the effect of the filtered sub. It was just the opposite with the NGC7000 group. It was odd because I had a previous image taken right from my driveway last year of IC 1396 with L Ehance only and it produced an image with the Trunk quite prominently (see below). I go to dark skies and I had to work harder. Go figure.
CV_ETD_1crp.JPG
CV_ETD_1crp.JPG (8.91 MiB) Viewed 532 times
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur