M11 Wild Duck Cluster and M20

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

M11 Wild Duck Cluster and M20

Unread post by menardre »

I am trying to work on Messier objects ..mostly those in the southerly sky. My setup has trees to the south so I am limited. Very hard to get to Sagittarius and Virgo.. and all those wonderful Messier objects.

So I had to settle for M11 and M26 in Scutum. Since these are 'just' open clusters I did not have to image very long. 45 minutes each would suffice. I used 11 inch SCT and ZWO ASI2600 OSC. Camera set to gain of 100 binned 2x2 and 0 deg C.

Processing very simple since did not have to try and bring out details or colors.

Not much to write about.. M11 is also know as the wild duck since its brighter stars form a 'V'. It is not evident in this image. M11 is a very rich open cluster in fact it is one of the most massive and compact open clusters known. M26 is more diffuse. The clusters are metal rich.

Roger

M11_Master_ABEdiv_Autocolor_HT_NXT_SR_annotate.jpg
M11_Master_ABEdiv_Autocolor_HT_NXT_SR_annotate.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 371 times
M26 Master_ABE_Autocolor_HT_SR_annotate.jpg
M26 Master_ABE_Autocolor_HT_SR_annotate.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 371 times
Attachments
M11 Wild Duck Cluster.jpg
M11 Wild Duck Cluster.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 371 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: M11 Wild Duck Cluster and M20

Unread post by Pete »

Rog, I'm always envious of your high magnification pinpoint stars. Nice.
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Re: M11 Wild Duck Cluster and M20

Unread post by menardre »

Pete

Thanks.

I do try my best to get the stars to as pin-point as possible. Some of it is being meticulous about focusing (and refocusing), and of course processing techniques can help. When I image with the 11 inch SCT, I almost always use a /7 focal reducer, which also helps.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.