A long and hugely detailed analysis of 1/10/2021 imaging session

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

A long and hugely detailed analysis of 1/10/2021 imaging session

Unread post by Pete »

Sunday, 10 Jan 2021

It’s clearing around 18:00 and while I’m looking to make pretty pictures the technical focus is upon Hyperstar vignetting and upon the SharpCap frequently refusing to “see stars” so as to align and stack a live image.

On Friday I’d gone through yet another set of flat frame captures. These flats were run in the daytime rather than at twilight, so the histogram peaks remained in position rather than drifting to the left. Dimming histograms could be the cause of the flats problem. Here’s a flat capture screen from Friday.
45 histo.jpg
45 histo.jpg (316.84 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
And here’s the flat itself.
45histo flat.jpg
45histo flat.jpg (155.1 KiB) Viewed 2037 times

Looks pretty good. Let’s see if it works…..

Messier 74 – (also known as NGC 628 and Phantom Galaxy) is a spiral galaxy in the constellation Pisces. It is at a distance of about 32 million light-years away from Earth. The galaxy contains two clearly defined spiral arms and is therefore used as an archetypal example of a grand design spiral galaxy. It is estimated that M74 is home to about 100 billion stars.

Experienced extreme vignetting with the Hyperstar. No darks or flats applied as vignetting with this setup vignetting is only exacerbated. THE NEW FLAT IS NG. Here’s an example:
flat not working.jpg
flat not working.jpg (316.56 KiB) Viewed 2037 times

I’d asked about my star detection problem on the SharpCap online forum, and had 4 pages of responses with different things to try. None worked.
giide star fail.jpg
giide star fail.jpg (306.53 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
So much for tonight’s “fixes”. Settings for one of dozens of tonight’s unsuccessful attempts shown:

Not to say I didn’t capture something……
M74 annotated.jpg
M74 annotated.jpg (895.86 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Imaged 21:28 – 23:07 hrs, 10 Jan 2021 Meade 14” LX200GPS with Hyperstar & ZWO ASI2600MC-P camera 21 X 3min, unbinned, -20°C cooling, gain at 200 No darks & no flats used.

The image is only mediocre rather than horrible due to intense post processing.

It was necessary to reduce chip captive area to 3120 X 2088 pixels to avoid the worse of the vignetting. At 10.5 X 9.5 arc-minutes in size M74 is better suited for the higher magnification of the 14 without the Hyperstar.

IC 405 (also known as the Flaming Star Nebula or Caldwell 31) is an emission and reflection nebula in the constellation Auriga, surrounding the bluish star AE Aurigae. It shines at magnitude +6.0. The nebula measures approximately 37.0' x 19.0', and lies about 1,500 light-years away from Earth
IC405 annotated.jpg
IC405 annotated.jpg (3.95 MiB) Viewed 2037 times
Imaged 21:28 – 23:07 hrs, 10 Jan 2021 Meade 14” LX200GPS with Hyperstar & ZWO ASI2600MC-P camera 34 X 3min, unbinned, -20°C cooling, gain at 200 No darks & no flats used.

Playing more with SharpCap’s align settings and changing the digital gain from the maximum 8X to none there are hundreds of stars now being detected. Think I’m getting the hang of this.

Experienced extreme vignetting with the Hyperstar. No darks or flats applied as vignetting with this setup vignetting is only exacerbated. It was necessary to reduce chip captive area to 3120 X 2088 pixels to avoid the worse of the vignetting and allow processing.

Looking back, here’s what the same object processed out on the 7th when darks and flats had been applied. First here's the super vignetting:
IC 405 super vignette.jpg
IC 405 super vignette.jpg (105.55 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
And this is all that could be salvaged from it:
IC 405 1x 116G -20cm 41x3m.jpg
IC 405 1x 116G -20cm 41x3m.jpg (174.89 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Coming to the conclusion that, as Mark M suggested, flats can only do so much and they can’t be pushed to extremes.

Shut down and inside at 23:25 hrs. It’s 26°F and after being out for the better part of the night the warmth feels good.

Observations & Lessons Learned:

It’s pretty certain that the C format chip is too big for use with the Hyperstar. I've gone thru all combinations of flat imaging and none have solved this problem. Had been considering the purchase of an illuminated flat screen but will give that a pass as it’s doubtful that it’d help.

There was no obvious vignetting with the ASI2600 mounted to the 80mm Orion long tube so it looks like I’ll revert to using the Orion or a similar refractor for wide field imaging.

Next step is to remove the old Hyperstar (that worked will with small format CCD chips 11 years ago) and see what happens with the 2600 mounted to the Orion when flats are introduced.

The SharpCap star detection problem isn’t completely solved. But I’m getting the feel for it.

To some degree, tonight's images were salvaged so the night wasn’t a total loss.

Early in the evening SharpCap started dropping out again, even with the new beta version software download. Turns out that the 86x 64 bit version of the software is a bit hidden on the download page and I’ve been working with 32 bits. Found/Loaded the 64x beta and no subsequent problems.

And stargazing is supposedly a peaceful serene fun hobby???
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Re: A long and hugely detailed analysis of 1/10/2021 imaging session

Unread post by menardre »

Pete
Your an engineer...where would we be if there was not another problem to solve??

Your images of M74 and IC 405 are really good. I really like the subtle red/blue in IC 405. What did you do to get the M74 black & white?

Sounds like you had a more productive night than me. According to clear-dark sky, the clouds were supposed to roll in around 10PM or 11PM, which meant limited imaging time. I decided to image something that could be completed in only 1-2 hours so I imaged the open cluster NGC 188. Image came out OK, but nothing to write home about.

I know what you mean about listening to advice from users groups. I have done that in the past and many times their suggestions are not helpful.

I did not realize the vignetting with hyperstar is that much or an issue. I have a hyperstar for my C11, but I have never used it. Besides vignetting, do you have any problems focusing an F2 system?

Love your posts...

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Hi Rog,

All of my images are always finished up with Photoshop. Been using the software for 15 years and long ago it was THE software to use for LGBR imaging. Been printing 8 1/2 X 11 images and use PS to size, plus do annotation and minor final tweaks. And it has a button that converts color to B&W for those time when all stars are green.

Checked the Starizona website for limitations on the current Hyperstar, and there are problems with some large format DSLRs vignetting. My camera's attached directly to the Hyperstar. As close as it could possibly be. But back when I bought it in 2008 chips were smaller and the Hyperstar optics may have been different from what they are today.

While this setup isn't getting the full FOV it is f/2. Not sure about the benefits of the fast focal ration but if a smaller chip capture area is programed I suspect darks and flats would work fine. Trade-offs trade-offs. Gonna compare with performance against the 80mm refractor. I have my eye on a 102mm triplet that didn't weigh so much that it wouldn't piggyback. For that matter, I'll be surveying the club for one first, if the 80mm is satisfactory.
Pete P.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

The Hyperstar might work out after all! This AM I dismounted it. In the subsequent disassembly took a very close look at the Starizona supplied optics to camera adapters. Two were supplied, one for a Canon thread and the other for a 42mm T-thread. Both adapters were a cone shape that went into a cylinder connecting to the camera.

Before mounting I'd checked the Camera to T-thread adapter and the cylindrical section wouldn't unscrew and it was obviously one piece. Now that it was off and the rig isn't working there was nothing to lose by putting some strap wrenches to it as a last hope. By golly, that cylinder turned out to be a 15mm T-tube extension!!!! Believe that it came assembled that way and T-threads have a way of locking up solid. Or perhaps it was necessary to achieve focus with my Meade DSI III back in 2008. Whatever. THE HYPERSTAR HAS A NEW LEASE ON LIFE!

It may not come to focus, but by golly if it does I expect that the vignetting problem will be gone.
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Pete just curious- last week you posted a lovely image of M42, wasn't that taken with the hyperstar and did that suffer from vignetting?
Bruce D
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Yeah, Bruce. That M42 was a Hyperstar. But you'll notice that the corners are black. Hopefully will get out tonight. Can't take flats until I refocus but I'm still hoping for good things.
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Good luck, cloudy here. AGAIN!
Bruce D
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Mark Searles promised clearing after midnight, and I was so hot to check out the mod that I went to bed at 9 and was up at 1pm. Still cloudy. Up again at 2. Still cloudy. Up again at 3. Still cloudy. Up again at 4. Still cloudy. Slept thru 'till 8. Clear and sunny. Well, it did clear after midnight didn't it?
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

That's dedication Pete!
I had my hopes up for tonight but the CSC doesn't look promising...
Bruce D