Stars good. Equipment setup not so good.

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Stars good. Equipment setup not so good.

Unread post by Pete »

Thursday, 7 Jan 2021

Out at 17:30 powering up computers, cameras and the 14” with its Hyperstar. Tough and frustrating night.

NGC 1275 aka the Perseus Cluster and C24 Initiated imaging and SharpCap kept dropping out. Did so 5 or 6 times. SoftCap wouldn’t align stars for live stack. Severe vignetting with L side light red. Managed to capture 10 frames. Stacked & processed in ImagesPlus. And PS of course.
NGC 1275 10x3m f2 1x annotated.jpg
NGC 1275 10x3m f2 1x annotated.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 1170 times

10 X 3 minutes, unbinned, -20°C, gain at 200, guided at 3 sec.

While there are dozens of galaxies in this wide field image only a handful are obvious. Flats were discarded as they buggered up the vignetting more than if not used.

IC 405 – aka the Flaming Star Nebula and C31
IC 405 1x 116G -20cm 41x3m.jpg
IC 405 1x 116G -20cm 41x3m.jpg (174.89 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
41 X 3 minutes, gain at 116, -20°C, unbinned,

This time around SoftCap was picking alignment stars but the software dropped out after 2 hours and the stack wasn’t saved. So stacking of individual frames and subsequent processing was run thru ImagesPlus. Flats were worthless and couldn’t be used. Vignetting was horrible and this small image is very tightly cropped.

In at 23:30.

Conclusions and lessons learned:

Nice to be out under the stars but imaging difficulties made it a wee bit frustrating. Flats just aren’t working. With the Hyperstar, the ASI2600 is severely vignetted. Live stacking is hit or miss as SharpCap frequently won’t find alignment stars.

Both images are cropped and obscene processing was necessary to get them where they are. See problems above.

I'm beginning to better appreciate imaging at long focal length. Using wide field (at 700 mm) the stars are pinpoint but there just aren't that many large DSOs compared to a FL of 3500mm.

4 Jan 2021 Dew shield modified and mounted over the Hyperstar. Weight added to the backplate counterweight bringing it up to 18#. With the dew shield new flats are necessary..

Flat frames were taken (as I normally do with the SBIG) using the T shirt frame at twilight. 3 sets run at 1s, 2s and 4 as there’s some talk on the ASI facebook about longer exposures being necessary. These were unbinned and run at a gain of 100.

These flats didn’t work on Jan 7. Light is fading fast at twilight and over the course of stacking 15 or 50 frames the histogram brightness drops from 10% to 20%. You can see the curves marching across the screen from bright to dark. Is this creating a problem?

A long series of dark frames was run at a gain of 100, as 100 may be the setting to use. Can’t use a lens cap with the Hyperstar mounted. So got a ladder and covered the top of the dew shield with opaque cloth. Ran long series and afterward discovered that they were all junk. Even in the closed dome at night with the dew shield covered the center area was gray while the corners were black. Unusable.

8 Jan 2021 corrective actions taken.

As for the drop out situation, it’s either the camera or the software. Rather than remove and reload SharpCap 3.2, SharpCap 3.3 Beta was downloaded. This Beta runs with the 2600 and compatibility was tested by running the new flats noted below.

The only workable flats taken for the 2600 were on the 14” at prime focus. (At prime focus there’s no noticeable vignetting). These were run under early morning black cloudy sky with the old T shirt frame after adding another 2 layers of fabric. Perhaps there’s a need for the sky remaining at constant brightness?

So on the 8th yet another series of flat frames were taken with the Hyperstar & dew shield. This time at mid-day after adding 4 more layers of white T shirt to the existing wooden framework. ¼ sec exposure is the longest exposure possible. Fine tuning of the histogram was done using gain. Set white average curve at 45% saturation, leaving the R and B curves down at 30% and G at 70%. To be tested.

hgp 9 Jan 2021
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Re: Stars good. Equipment setup not so good.

Unread post by menardre »

Pete

Do you have any idea why the flats are not working? I believe you are using a flat white background. Is the flat not flat enough (colorwise) or large enough (to stop vignetting)?
You know I use a flat panel and set the exposure to get about 20,000 to 25,000 exposure. I usually take 40 or 50 flats (since this only takes a minute or two).

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

With color one actually gets 4 different histograms on flats. Green to the far right around 70% well depth, red around 30%, blue at 35% and the white average at around 45%. It's a tradeoff. The t shirt frame used fits over the outside of the tube and covers the entire aperture.

If tonight's attempt with the flats taken under a steady sky with little brightness variation don't work I'll invest in this low cost flat panel https://www.ellumiglow.com/electrolumin ... circle-kit Don't understand the technology but it's 1/4 the cost of thick heavy panels usually used.

And if that doesn't work I'll forget about the Hyperstar and use a piggyback refractor for shooting wide field.
Pete P.
mark.m
President

Unread post by mark.m »

Pete:
What do you mean when you say the flats aren't working? Can you post an image with and without the flat correction? Can you post your master flat image?

Looking at the quality of your images, it isn't obvious to me that you need to do something that you're not already doing. They look really fine to my eye!

- Mark
Mark M, AJ1B
Portsmouth, RI
Celestron 14" and Meade 10" SCTs
QHY268M + SBIG ST-9
GM2000 (10Micron)
American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) observer code: MMU