Finally

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Bruce D
Life Member

Finally

Unread post by Bruce D »

Over 3 months ago I ordered a zwo asimc2600 color pro camera from OPT. After 2 1/2 months of hearing "we expect them in 10-14 days I cancelled the order. I decided to try ordering direct from the manufacturer, ZWO, on the chance they give preference to fulfilling direct orders before they ship to retailers. 3 Saturdays ago I placed my order, Monday morning I got an email from UPS saying they had generated a shipping label (usually means the package arrival at UPS is imminent) and that Wednesday it shipped. It was scheduled for delivery early last week but since I was off stalking the wily steelhead in it's natural habitat (as opposed to the fish counter at Market Basket) I contacted UPS and asked that they hold off delivery until this week. They were happy to. For 10 bucks. So I'm glad I knew it was coming today, so while I always back into the driveway today I pulled straight in. Fortunate, because UPS left the little box in the middle of the driveway where I usually park. I will give it a try on Jupiter/Saturn before the conjunction to see if that will be a better choice than the zwo asi1224 planetary camera that I originally intended to use. The documentation on the big camera says for planetary use the exposure can be so short it "freezes" atmospheric distortion. I'll believe it when I see it, but worth a try.

So lessons learned- if something is in short supply consider ordering direct rather than through a retailer. And, enter driveway carefully when small packages might be delivered-
Bruce D
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: Finally

Unread post by Pete »

Congratulations are indeed in order. The new technology 2600 is in huge demand. I continued to be thrilled by mine. The live imaging, where you watch the stacked image as it's building, is a really neat way to stay interactive during an imaging session. I've found that by enlarging the developing stack at 300X or 400X you can evaluate noise and determine just when you can move on to the next target.

The conjunction is so close that it might be better to stick with the ASI1224 that you know. Or not. What camera control software are you using for the 1224?
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

I have sharpcap and will use it for the 2600 too, it seems to work well with the ASI cameras so i don't see any sense in starting back at zero with new software. I'll need to renew the pro version. I read somewhere the 2600 is sensitive enough that for planets it can take a very short exposure and "freeze" atmospheric turbulence without stacking. I'm looking forward to giving it a try Friday, after all they are so low in the muck I'm not going to get Chris Go quality anyway. If i can get the 2 planets in the same shot and have them recognizable I'll be very happy
Bruce D
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Check that you are running the latest version of SharpCap as there's some pretty neat stuff in there including camera calibration.

As for the conjunction, there's a great difference in magnitude and I suspect that they'll need different exposure. My original plan was to take overlapping images at different exposures, and then to crop and merge the common star field in PS.

But just checking it turns out that even at 16:30 hrs the planets are only 18° above the theoretical horizon. It's theoretical because I've trees and a house in the way. And I just removed my focal reducer as a concession to solving vignetting.
Pete P.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll run update or reinstall sharpcap.

The planets certainly are setting earlier. I can work from my top deck which does make a noticable difference but I'll have to evaluate a couple days before the conjunction and determine if I can work from home or have to commute to the cranberry bogs, that's where I go if I need to see a comet that sets right behind the sun. If you can't catch it from home and would like to travel (do you have a travel setup?) you are welcome to join me.
Bruce D
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Bruce

Congrats on the new camera.

I had a chance to try out Pete's ASI2600 and it is truly an amazing camera.

Hopefully we will have a clear night on Dec 21 so you can give the conjunction a shot.

I hope you enjoy imaging celestial objects as much as I do.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Thanks Roger, i don't aspire to achieving your level of skill but I'll be happy if i produce some pleasing images!
Bruce D
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Bruce,

Congratulations on your new camera! That's one helluva' eyepiece into the cosmos. I'm sure you'll be moving up the scale quickly now that you've got such a quality instrument to work with.

Better get going with looking at those IP tutorials. :lol:

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Thanks Tom, I suspect it will take me a long while to get up to speed. I don't have as much time for astronomy as I would like. I figure one step at a time, first will be getting good focus and a reasonable tracking accuracy. Then I'll decide what the next issue is and how to solve it, if I try to tackle everything at once I'll get confused!

Did you try making that focus mask? I plan to throw one together over the weekend and I hope is solves focus issues I've had in the past- diminishing bracketing and/or guessing haven't worked for me!
Bruce D
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

I think you're right about 1 step at a time. And if you are going to go though a scope with a relatively medium focal length ( so the star's not THAT small) vs. a camera lens, you should be able to focus just fine with a commercial Bahtinov mask. If you are using your Meade 10" there should be no problem.

Haven't made the mask yet, but it's on my list. We are currently hibernating and won't be coming out until March. That's when I'll go to HD for some screening material. :lol:
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur