M31 test

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
bluemax
10+ Years Member

M31 test

Unread post by bluemax »

Mounted an Astrotech 72mm on the Skyguider Pro to see if it would balance and perform on this RA only mount. Used modded Canon Rebel through a .8 flattener/reducer and took about an hours worth at 25 seconds each frame. Started the SharpCap on a mini 130mm guide scope to polar align and thought I had a good one. Well, moving the big scope (for this rig) around to find the object, I must have disrupted the PA because anything over 25 seconds showed star trails. This mount is really good with a light load like a DSLR and say, 100-200mm lens. I have gotten decent frames with 3-4 minutes that kind of setup.
Anyhow, back to the experiment: I am used to a go-to mount and found it is hard to find an object even as big as M31 without a go-to! Much respect for you observers out there! A red dot finder did the trick and I used SGP for acquisition with IP for processing. The Astrotech is pretty nice for the cost and has a nice focuser.
The results are what they are and showed fair stars. I plan to be more careful after polar alignment to find an object for sure.
Attachments
M31 Ioptron 25 secIP PS.jpg
M31 Ioptron 25 secIP PS.jpg (8.26 MiB) Viewed 1705 times
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
menardre
Vice President

Re: M31 test

Unread post by menardre »

Frank

Very nice job imaging M31. Stars across the entire field look nice and round so your backfocus distance must be good.

Nice detail in the galaxy. You also captured M110 and M32. Nice job.

I would have good happy with your result. Looking forward to seeing more of your imaging.

I know hat you mean about go-to scopes. I have become reliant on them for most objects. I have now started to rely upon platesolving to find those objects that I cannot see even with 11 in SCT.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Ditto on Roger's remarks, Frank, and kudos on the capture. I want to add that I have been finding some satisfaction in star hopping to find these targets. It is only recently, after all these years of imaging with a goto, that I can actually find NGC 7635 or IC1396 ( or in this case, I see :D ) on my own.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Nice image Frank, as Roger and Tom pointed out, i think you covered all the bases!
Bruce D
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

thanks guys, appreciate the comments. this image was just a test! wait till my shoulder heals up and I do this object justice! will be out of imaging for a bit, rotator cuff done yesterday so, no lifting scopes to a mount for now. look forward to seeing y'alls images :)
Frank N

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Frank, nice experiment and image. With more imaging time, you'll have a really great image of M31. Thanks for sharing.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks Chuck. This effort was really just experimentation of a new rig. As you mentioned, more integration is in order. Plan to resume down the road. Clear Skies!
Frank N