Messier's #1 - The Crab Nebula

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Messier's #1 - The Crab Nebula

Unread post by AstroGeek »

For the past couple of weeks, I have been painstakingly working on a single astro image. My philosophy has taken on a 'quality over quantity' theme. Better to work on the best single image that I can produce, rather than pump out a few so-so pics per week/month.

For this one, I spent three five-hour sessions with scope and camera. (Celestron HD 11" SCT + SBIG STT-8300 CCD)
November 8: H-Alpha (7nm) filter only, collected 55 five-minute exposures and selected the best 48 (4 hours total)
November 14: Red/Green/Blue filters, collected 18 five-minute exposures for RGB (90 mins/each color)
November 18: IR-block filter for Luminance, collected 55 five-minute exposures and selected the best 48 (4 hours total)
November 19: Registered and stacked each of the above using DeepSky Stacker - then processed with Photoshop 2020

I chose to collect a lot of data with the H-alpha filter in order to make the reddish 'crab claws' pop into view.

I am pleased with the result.

The pulsar itself is visible as the lower of the two stars close together near the center of the nebula.

CRAB NEBULA II.jpg
CRAB NEBULA II.jpg (517.77 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Last edited by AstroGeek on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve L
menardre
Vice President

Re: Messier's #1 - The Crab Nebula

Unread post by menardre »

Outstanding image of the Crab Nebula. The extra time you spent with the filters was well worth it. Really brings out the details in the nebula.

Well done!!

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Unread post by AstroGeek »

Thank you, Roger!!
Steve L
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Great image Steve, an often overlooked object. We've had a few M1 images here but I'm always surprised it isn't a more popular target. Well done!
Bruce D
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Steve, very nice! I especially like the way you got that misty/cloudy area to seemingly pop in front of the red tendrils in the middle of the Crab.
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Steve, very nice image of the Crab. The HA filter really did the trick.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox