SharpCap issue

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
bluemax
10+ Years Member

SharpCap issue

Unread post by bluemax »

Can anyone comment on an issue I am having with SharpCap. Using a QHY mini guider to polar align with SharpCap and not getting stars at all. When I shine a light into the scope, the screen goes white so it is connected. This guide scope is in focus for sure since I use it as an autoguider so the problem is not out of focus. Also, the software does not automatically recognize the camera as it is supposed to do. I have to manual choose it in the tool bar. Have upgraded to version 3.2. Posed question on SC forum but so far, no joy.
Last year this camera was working with Sharpcap but not now. Comments appreciated Tim since you are the resident SharpCap expert :)
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: SharpCap issue

Unread post by Pete »

Sorry Frank. As noted elsewhere I'm on the SharpCap learning curve. The polar alignment is supposed to be superlative but I'm on a pier. Just went to the Pro upgrade the other day. Been in direct contact with Robin to solve a format problem. And still haven't figured out flats. Can't help you but will be looking for some hints myself.
Pete P.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Pete, thanks for responding. Who is Robin? If that is a customer support person, I would be interested in communicating with them.
Frank N

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Robin Glover is the Englishman who wrote and refines SharpCap. I think his is a one-man shop.

He discourages direct contact and in his response to me said "we generally run support through the SharpCap forums https://forums.sharpcap.co.uk/index.php as it provides the opportunity for other members to contribute if they've dealt with similar issues themselves and also gives the chance to find previous answers that might cover the same ground."
Pete P.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks Pete.
BTW, last night pointed the guidescope at the stars, and found that adjusting gain way up high produced stars on SharpCap. Guess that's all it was.
Frank N

Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Well Frank, perhaps you could give me some guidence with SharpCap flats. Due to the dark & flat file complexity and lack of ID they're hard to manage. Taking a flat at midrange ADU and then applying it to a capture results in:

Given all the variables associated with individual darks and flats (time, temp, gain, binning, color mode, etc.) this is a whole lot more complex than what I've been dealing with on the SBIG setup. How're you making out with your flats?
Pete P.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Pete, I only use SharpCap for polar alignment. Currently using Sequence Generator Pro for lights/darks/flats, etc.
I know SharpCap has lots of features but I am so used to SGP that I can't change right now. Sorry. Maybe Tim will chime in as he has used SC for a while.
Frank N

TimW

Unread post by TimW »

Resident expert...HA. That's funny.

The SharpCap polar alignment utility can be a bit tricky but works very well. First off you need to make sure your already within 5 degrees of the north celestial pole. If you can see Polaris then you should be close enough. You also need to make sure your camera has a field of view of at least 1 degree and you can see at least 15 stars. If you are having trouble getting it to solve, try adjusting the gain and exposure level of the camera.

You can read this for more information. Good Luck.

https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/fea ... -alignment
Tim W.

Laurie J. Wood
March 22, 1967 - August 23, 2019
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.

Scope: 8" Celestron SCT on an AVX equatorial mount
Solar Scope: Lunt Solar System 60 mm Double-Stacked H-Alpha
Solar Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI174mm monochrome
Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI1600MC-Cool
Autoguide: PHD2
Image Capturing: SharpCap
DebayerIng: PIPP
Planetary Stacking: Autostakkert
Planetary Post Processing: Registax
Deep Sky Stacking: Deep Sky Stacker
Deep Sky Post Processing: Photoshop
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks Tim! In my case, the gain was what got stars to show up. What a relief! Thought I was going nuts as the camera was focused and was used for guiding on another rig.
Frank N