H-Alpha filters for color CCD camera

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
bluemax
10+ Years Member

H-Alpha filters for color CCD camera

Unread post by bluemax »

In an effort to enhance imaging with a color CCD camera, can an H-Alpha filter be used to pull out better detail. And then, can the resulting processed H-Alpha image be combined with a "normal" color processed image with good results?
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: H-Alpha filters for color CCD camera

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Yes. Depends on your standards for good results. Mine are very low. :lol:

Tom

Over Walmart and car lot lights:
( modded Canon T3i 28mm Nikon lens H Alpha filter merged with unfiltered images/ beyond that I don't remember the settings.)
Attachments
CV_CalNebPleiadesCombo.JPG
CV_CalNebPleiadesCombo.JPG (4.39 MiB) Viewed 2421 times
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Tom, I know that's not true! You have immeasurably high standards!
Now I need to get a 2" H-Alpha filter. Thanks.
Frank N

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

bluemax wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 am In an effort to enhance imaging with a color CCD camera, can an H-Alpha filter be used to pull out better detail. And then, can the resulting processed H-Alpha image be combined with a "normal" color processed image with good results?
Yes, but I'm not sure how the image processing is handled. Using a DSLR or color CCD, I assume you would take separate flats and darks for the HA filter and then run through whatever processing technique you normally use, stacking all the images together.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Just to be clear about your statement, Chuck. You would process each stack of subs separately as you would normally, with the associative darks & flats to each set. You would then merge the 2 finished images together.

@ Frank- You can drop in a 1/25" Ha filter to the front end of your ccd camera and screw on the nozzle that fits into the eyepiece hole of the scope. It's a little adapter sold through Scopestuff.

https://www.ebay.com/i/271699705065?chn ... CUEALw_wcB
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I wasn't really sure of the order of steps for adding HA data to DSLR or color CCD images.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Glad to be of service whenever I can, Chuck. And I have mentioned this before- you can now download Images Plus for free. It's an amazing program, and it kills me that I spent so much money on it over the years in upgrades. If you haven't done it already. Download it! :lol:

Tom
Tom H
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Tom, thanks for the tip on the adapter from scope Stuff! You might have just saved me over $100....the difference between 1.25" and 2" HA filter!!! I owe you a coffee & donut.
PS
then again, if I wanted to use my DSLR on this scope, I would need the 2" filter...Hmmm maybe just the coffee :wink:
Frank N

menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

I just recently tried to combine one-shot color image with same image using one-shot camera and IDAS NB1 filter. As others have said, you process align and stack the one-shot color independent of the images from the IDAS filter using the appropriate darks/flats for each set. I use Images Plus ... so once you have two 'masters' you can align the two masters (which produces two aligned masters) and then stack the two masters. At that point you can continue image processing the combination.

One problem you may have is the IDAS NB1 filter (or any filter actually) will produce Ha as the color red. When you add this to your one-shot color, you get the red from the one-shot on top of the red from the Ha filter. It adds depth but hard to distinguish the Ha contribution. In order to show the Ha as a distinct portion of the object, when I start processing the Ha data, I select the GRGB debayer rather than the RGGB debayer. That assigns what should be the red from the Ha to the color green. That way when you add the two masters you will have the red from the one-shot along with the green showing the Ha contributions. This is somewhat in-line with what is known as the Hubble Color Palette.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks Roger! I never would have thought to select a different debayer on this type of process. What did you think of the results when you did this? Did you get more fine nebulosity detail with the HA?
Frank N