M33 Triangulum Galaxy

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

M33 Triangulum Galaxy

Unread post by menardre »

The weather man fooled me again last night. According to clear/dark skies, high clouds were supposed to roll in around 10:00PM. So I decided to image something that could be captured in just a few hours. M33 is a large galaxy in our galactic neighborhood. I imaged it before, but I have updated my equipment since and I wanted to give it another shot.

I took 60 images of M33 with 4 minute subs with SVX130 refractor and ZWO ASI071 camera. Of course I used Sequence Generator Pro (SGP). I used the plate solve and manual rotate function to make sure the galaxy is centered properly. I used Images Plus to process the image. This image is full frame - no cropping. This time I am playing a bit with the different smooth/sharpen functions.

Roger
M33 Processed.jpg
M33 Processed.jpg (5.19 MiB) Viewed 2061 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: M33 Triangulum Galaxy

Unread post by Pete »

What HUGE detail when enlarged!
Pete P.
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

That's a great image Roger. When I was in Gouldsboro Maine, you could see that level of detail in M33 in the eyepiece. Under a dark sky that galaxy is amazing it looks like a big smudge naked eye. After my trip M33 became one of my favorite galaxies.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Roger, I really like this image....the spiral arms are particularly worthy of study! it looks like the arms going around are depositing bright stars in their wake as they circle the center.
Paul, you must have had some of that great Gearys Ale made in Portland to be able to see that much detail with a scope :P
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Nice image Roger and great detail when at full resolution. Once you get PixInsight mastered, you'll have some outstanding images. Thanks for sharing.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Remarkable image, Roger. This one is really impressive. Nice processing job, too!

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Paul D
Equipment Manager

Unread post by Paul D »

bluemax wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:50 am
Paul, you must have had some of that great Gearys Ale made in Portland to be able to see that much detail with a scope :P
Frank,

Gouldsboro Maine is rated a 2 on the bortle scale. For comparison Stellafane is a 5 on the bortle scale. It is really a dark site and its amazing what you can see under a truly dark sky. The knots and arms are amazing on this galaxy and its a huge galaxy. What you see in Rogers image you can easily pick out in the eyepiece under a bortle scale 2 sky.
Paul...

16" f/5 Night Sky Truss (Midnight Mistress)
10" f/5 Home built Dob with Parks mirror.
Pre-Meade PST
Celestron Skymaster Binos 25-125x80
Meade Travelview Binos 10x50

See that 16" in the sleek black dress? She is all mine. :)
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Paul,
You are fortunate to have a very dark place to observe! Awesome that you could see that detail. How about a club field trip?...we could setup all the tents and travel trailers in the front yard of her house. It would be no bother, just a little when the tenters tramp into the house at all hours of the night to use the bathroom :wink:
Are you sure you weren't sharing a Geary's with your Midnight Mistress?
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968