IC 59 and IC 63

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

IC 59 and IC 63

Unread post by menardre »

Last night I bit the bullet and tried something difficult. Most on my imaging to date have been easy to moderately difficult. Just trying to get all of the aspects of astrophotography to work. Last night I decided to image a difficult object, the faint nebulae IC 59 and IC 63. The imaging session required me to use all of the tools that I have learned including PHD2 autoguiding, autofocus, platesolving, manual camera image rotation (due to the size of the nebulae I wanted my camera at a very specific angle relative to the objects), meridian flips, and image processing with meridian flips. This was the first time that I performed imaging almost totally unattended (I did get up to see how the system managed the meridian flip). I was amazed at how well SGP automatically managed all of the functions. It was actually 'fun' to watch SGP manage the meridian flip process including stopping autoguider, perform the flip, re-invoke platesolve (I was not sure if I would have to re-adjust camera angle- turned out I did not), re-establish autoguider, and then resume imaging. All I had to do was stay out of the way.

The software I used was PHD2 for autoguiding (managed by Sequence Generator Pro); SGP to manage the camera, focuser, mount, platesolving, etc; and Images Plus for the stacking aligning, and image processing. Images Plus automatically accounted for the meridian flip, I did not have to do anything except select all of the subs.
The images are so faint that even with a stretched 5 minute exposure you only get a hint of the nebulosity. I decided to take 5 minute subs, and managed to get 80 subs.

IC 59 and IC 63 are faint reflection and emission nebulae in Cassiopeia.
IC 59 is on left.

Roger
IC59-63 Processed.jpg
IC59-63 Processed.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 2131 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: IC 59 and IC 63

Unread post by Pete »

That's really lovely Roger. More so as I was out 'till midnight struggling with the new OAG and a camera that wouldn't cooperate.
Pete P.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

@ Pete, and I was out trying to image Mars. Please pity me.

Roger, you scored a real winner here. Can't imagine what you'd be able to produce under legitimately dark skies. Glad to read the success you had with the various machinations required to produce such a beautiful image. Sounds daunting!

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

OK Roger. That is a truly impressive image.
Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Beautiful Roger, looks like everything came together just right
Bruce D
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Awesome Roger! I don't think I have ever seen reflection nebulae with two distinct colors such as this beauty. Thanks for sharing.
I hope to one day master the SGP plate solving too.
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Great image Roger, glad that all the equipment and software worked together. Thanks for sharing.

--- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox