IC 1848 Soul Nebula

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

IC 1848 Soul Nebula

Unread post by menardre »

Last night I was able to image IC 1848 (Soul Nebula) in Cassiopeia. I previously imaged the Heart Nebula, which is very close to IC 1848. The pair are commonly know as the Heart & Soul. The Soul Nebula is very large so I imaged with my SVX130 refractor and ZWO ASI071 camera. Since it is an emission nebula and generates a lot of Ha, I used my IDAS NB1 filter. I took 60 images of 4 minutes. Processing was done with Images Plus... only fairly basic processing. As you can see I actually was not able to get the whole nebula in the frame. The Red is the Ha emission.
The Heart and Soul Nebulas are a vast star forming region spanning 300 light years. The stars being produced are very young, only a few million years old.

Roger
IC 1848 Processed.jpg
IC 1848 Processed.jpg (6.94 MiB) Viewed 1105 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: IC 1848 Soul Nebula

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Very nice capture, Roger. last night was absolutely beautiful and you made great use of it with your image.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Roger, very nice the way you got the wispy parts to show. I have been interested in this one too and wonder what the FOV was. Did you use a reducer/flattener?
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

For this image I used my SVX130 (5 inch) refractor with a field flattener.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.