Image processing software

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

Image processing software

Unread post by menardre »

You all probably know that for that past couple of years I have been using 'Images Plus' to do all of my astrophotography work. I recently downloaded 'PixInsight' and I am giving it a try. Everything that I have heard and read about PixInsight indicates it is one of the premiere full featured astrophotography software programs.

I anyone interested in my comparison of Images Plus vice PixInsight? My first few days working with PixInsight (and the reviews that I have read) show that PixInsight is a complex program with a steep learning curve, but produces great images.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Image processing software

Unread post by Bruce D »

I'm always interested to follow along Roger and hopefully I will be deciding on software myself soon. Are there specific features in Images Plus you are unhappy with, or does Pixinsight just do more?
Bruce D
menardre
Vice President

Bruce

I am happy with how Images Plus works, especially with one-shot color cameras. Now that I have a monochrome camera I found that the process for aligning the LRGB and narrowband 'masters' is a bit clunky - but it does work. Images Plus requires you to find and select 3, 4 , or 5 stars in each of the LRGB and narrowband masters for alignment. I believe that PixInsight alignment process for LRGB and narrowband alignment is more automated, but I have not tried it yet. Also, Images Plus has not made any improvements or 'fixes' for years now so I wonder if the product is now the end-of-the line. I think that Images Plus developer is a single person or small group (just my impression). If you do a search on astrophotography image processing software you get many 'hits' for PixInsight and little to none for Images Plus so I have to believe the user base is much more extensive with PixInsight. PixInsight also has many ore videos and tutorials --- even a few books!
The main negative that I have found for PixInsight is a very steep learning curve .... I fully agree with this assessment. It took me all afternoon to stack one set of images (using flats, darks, and biases) with Pixinsight when it only took me 45 minutes total with Images Plus. To be fair, I have been using Images Plus so I am familiar with it .....

Maybe I should start a thread somewhere else on the BB for me to provide my evaluation as I become more familiar with PixInsight. The proof-in-the-pudding will be when I get to the point of actually doing image processing with PixInsight and compare the result with the same processing done using Images Plus.

On another topic, I understand that you may be building an observatory someday. I would be glad to give you my lessons learned. You are also invited to my house anytime to see how I built my observatory.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Roger observatory "Do's & Don'ts" certainly welcome and I'd be interested in checking out your observatory sometime when you are free
Bruce D
menardre
Vice President

Bruce

I am pretty much stuck at home, so you are welcome anytime.

Roger
Roger M.