M27 Dumbbell Nebula in narrowband

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

M27 Dumbbell Nebula in narrowband

Unread post by menardre »

My first attempt at using ZWO ASI 1600 for narrowband imaging was M27. I picked this since it is large and bright and low in the Eastern sky to start so I do not have to contend with meridian flip. I used 5 inch refractor. I took 37 images 2 minutes LUM, and 17 images 2 minutes Red, Green, Blue, Ha, and Oiii. I then used Images Plus to generate the six masters, then aligned the masters and assigned colors to each master. I used the Hubble Color Palette (Ha green, Oiii blue) for this test. This is a cropped image. I did notice that stars in a couple of areas had a distinctly green tint - which must mean that I am doing something wrong when I align and combine the images. All-in-all I am pleased with my first attempt at narrowband imaging. I have a little work to do to iron out the bugs. It is a lot more complicated than one-shot color, but only way to get decent narrowband images of nebula.

Roger
M27 LRGB-Ha-Oiii Cropped.jpg
M27 LRGB-Ha-Oiii Cropped.jpg (567.04 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: M27 Dumbbell Nebula in narrowband

Unread post by Bruce D »

Incredible detail in the nebula Roger, beautiful! I see red flares.on the stars, all towards 2:00, is it possible the red image was a tiny bit off alignment? But who cares about the stars the nebula looks so good!
Bruce D
Chuck

Unread post by Chuck »

Great job Roger and nice detail in the nebula. I look forward to your future images. Thanks for sharing.
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
menardre
Vice President

As Bruce pointed out there are red flares. This is also a cropped image so not shown are areas where the star colors are inconsistent. I went back and refined the alignment of the LRBG masters and was able to improve the image - especially the stars. I still have a lot to learn about imaging with a monochrome camera. I find that Images Plus is a bit clunky when it comes to aligning LGBR and narrowband images. It requires selecting different stars for each of the LRGB and narrowband masters. Of course the stars have to appear in all of the masters. I will continue to work on this using Images Plus, but I am also considering trying PixInsight. I have hear a lot of good things about PixInsight - including how easy it is to align masters. The down side is a very steep learning curve. They do offer a free trial period so I may give it a try.

Anyone using PixInsight??

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

How's it look if you just do the luminance?
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Pete

I re-processed M27 doing a better job of aligning the LRBG, Ha, and Oiii masters. I had to use 5 alignment stars to get all of the frame completely aligned. Not a big deal to do, just have to make sure that all masters contain the same stars. This image is only slightly cropped so you can see the stars surrounding M27.

Roger
M27 LRGB-Ha-Oiii Slight crop.jpg
M27 LRGB-Ha-Oiii Slight crop.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1917 times
Roger M.