Lovely Luna

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Lovely Luna

Unread post by AstroGeek »

April 7th Full Super Pink Moon - the moon does not orbit the earth in a perfect circle. Sometimes it's closer, sometimes it's farther away. When the close point in its monthly orbit matches the same date as the full moon, we get a 'Super Moon'. This creates a lot of unnecessary media hype. The full moon in April is called the Pink Moon as a nickname from folklore referring to wild pink phlox, which generally blooms in early spring. The Pink Moon is not pink, as a Blue Moon is not blue. This photo was taken from the backyard lawn through some tree branches about 150 yards away. Canon T6i DSLR camera attached to an AstroTech 72mm refractor on a tripod with one foot in the vegetable garden.
Super Moon thru Branches.tif
Super Moon thru Branches.tif (4.86 MiB) Viewed 1460 times
Steve L
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: Lovely Luna

Unread post by Pete »

Nice Steve. I too was out briefly last night and can personally attest to the fact that capturing this moon with a point 'n shoot camera won't cut it.

To put the "super moon" in perspective, the moon's normal size is approximately 1/2° - the size of the fingernail on your little finger with arm fully extended. And to model the "super moon" just move your little finger toward your eye the same distance as the width of the three fingers on your hand. A full moon at perigee appears roughly 14% larger in diameter than at apogee, so it's only 7% larger than at average. Ho hum.

The term supermoon is astrological in origin and has no precise astronomical definition. It was invented by astrologer Richard Nolle, and described in a 1979 edition of a horoscope! Nolle never outlined why he chose to term his supermoon "at or near (within 90% of) its closest approach to Earth". Another example of how astronomers are vexed by astrologers, and why the general public doesn't know the difference.
Pete P.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Hi Steve, Not sure why, but your image does not open on my page. Could it be because it's a .tif ?

I would love to see it.
Great info, Pete. thank you.
Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

Now that's what I call a Frame-Up. Very nice. It's always great when a normal object like the full moon can be presented in such a interesting and beautiful way. Great wallpaper also.

Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph