Learning astrophotography

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

Learning astrophotography

Unread post by menardre »

Since I have been stuck at home, I decided to go through and clean up my astronomy logbook. Yes - I do keep a logbook. In doing so I was struck by the evolution of how I perform astrophotography over the past few years. My plan has always been, take baby steps. I generally tried to get good at one function and then move on. I used this approach after reading many articles on how complex astrophotography can be, and how frustrating it can be to learn all of the skills.

So I started simple. Attached my Nikon camera to my scope and take pictures unguided. This actually worked quite well for many objects, and the best part was almost instant 'gratification'. I then learned to use programs such as Images Plus to do the image processing. I watched videos and then used some of the very basic image processing tools to produce decent images. At first I used Images Plus Camera control to control my Nikon and focuser. While this worked reasonably well, I eventually found Sequence Generator Pro (SGP). I find that SGP handles everything, and more, that I need.

So I learned more about using SGP via videos and tutorials. That allowed me to setup profiles, etc to make some of the tasks more automated.

Focusing has always been an issue with my images. SGP does a great job to focusing using their Frame & Focus and AutoFocus tools, however for a while even with those tools my images were still out of focus. Andy suggested that I need to compensate for focuser backlash, so I did some tests and determined how much backlash I needed, and added the backlash to all of my profiles. Now my images are generally in pretty good focus.

The next technique I really worried about is autoguiding. I have a lodestar guide camera, and PHD2 is free, but at first I was a bit reluctant. With help from Andy, I worked through some autoguide issues (mount backlash among them), and now I find autoguiding to be just another task. I am really thankful that Andy was around to help me.

Slowly but surely I was developing the techniques that would allow me to take longer exposures with better control.

After a year or two of baby steps, I am finally at a point where I can setup my equipment in about 15 minutes or so and let SGP handle to rest.

I recently changed from fork mount to equatorial mount so I need to now learn about things like meridian flip, and plate solving. Once again I am reluctant, but some night when there is a bright Moon (and I cannot do anything else), I will tackle those tasks.

Along the way I fine tune each of the skills that I have learned so that each session becomes another learning session.

I am writing this diatribe only as a point to anyone thinking about getting into astrophotography. Astrophotography can be complex, but you can break it down into manageable tasks. Along the way you can produce many images that you will be proud of. Some of my favorite images were taken by simply having my Nikon on a tripod and capture a nice meteor shower or conjunction.

So stick with it, and you can always find help from ASSNE members.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Chuck

Re: Learning astrophotography

Unread post by Chuck »

Roger:

Your experience pretty much mirrors my own, albeit your mastering SGP more than I. The most similar experience is the steep learning curve and thus taking baby steps, especially with the time consuming aspect of this hobby. With the current pandemic situation and never ending work requirements, it just compounds the latter.

I do monitor this forum, as much as I can, and have seen your progression improve significantly. Keep up the great work.

---- Chuck
Chuck M.

Meade 8" LX200 Classic OTA
iOptron CEM40EC and MiniPier on Meade classic field tripod
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 7D Mark II
ZWO 60mm f/4.6 GS with ASI120MM-S camera
Starizona SCT Corrector II and Virtual View 2" Rotating Visual Back
Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: Learning astrophotography

Unread post by NGC7000 »

I enjoyed your narrative, Roger. It embodies what many of us have experienced on this wonderful journey to the stars. I think the real reward, regardless of the level of skill, is the ability to show others that touching the cosmos is entirely possible from one's own backyard. I see it as a public service with personal rewards, and so I don't worry too much about my lack of finesse in processing anymore ( the diatribe you mention, if that's what you really meant, should really be directed against people like me who no longer bother to advance any further. :lol: ).
I try to eek out as much as I can from our light polluted skies and be happy for the meager wisps of stardust granted to me from that evening.

I was going gung -ho crazy trying to get it right until I read a post from Michael Covington on FB. He reminded everyone that, above all, imaging should be fun!
When I realized I wasn't making that the priority, I took a different approach, and now love my more often than not "less than stellar" images. It is enough to have a clear night, access, all systems go, and the time to process. If it comes out, great. If not, it was a night out with the gang of outlines.

Orion, Leo, Cygnus, are dim outlines of old friends I see from my porch. With my imaging setup we can get into deeper conversations I see more of them; they see more of me.

So thanks for this nice astro auto -bio you put up for scrutiny. It's educational and inspiring. A public service from the outskirts of isolation!

Hope you are staying well in these odd times.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur