Sometimes It's The Simplest Things

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: Sometimes It's The Simplest Things

Unread post by NGC7000 »

The Night of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman come to mind. Thanks for scaring me, Mike.

Very nice image, Mike!

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Thanks for the kind comments, guys! 8)

Another day, another simple pleasure. The photo below was not taken at the ocean. Although the swells on the water could make you think so, it was actually taken overlooking Lake Nippenicket in Bridgewater. On my way home from work this evening I noted that the cloud/clear ratio looked favorable for an attractive sunset, so I stopped by there to check it out. As usual there were others doing the same thing. It's one of the best spots we have in our parts. The lake was a full as I've ever seen it, and a drone pilot who was also imaging took a wind measurement while we were there - 22+MPH steady out of the WNW. Pretty stiff. It was 40* out, but that wind had me seeking retreat in the warmth of the truck between shots. Anyway, while the drone flew high overhead doing its video thing, I crawled on my belly like a reptile seeking the low angle on the scene. I kind of like the splash captured in the lower right corner of the image. :)

NipSS Nov29'18.jpg
NipSS Nov29'18.jpg (135.34 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Really nice, Mike. I'm enjoying the vibe.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Have you looked east lately in the early morning hours? OMG!!! Venus is now blazing at her greatest illuminated extent - nearly magnitude -5! That makes it an extremely bright point of light in the sky, and in fact THE brightest point-source, bar none. If you're up and it's clear, it's definitely worth the short trip outside to see this spectacle.

Venus over the Bridgewater Common early this morning;
HelloVenus.jpg
HelloVenus.jpg (172.5 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Nice shot Mike, breakfast at the sisters?
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Bruce D wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:57 pm Nice shot Mike, breakfast at the sisters?
Absolutely! :D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

It's that time of year again where certain atmospheric phenomena are more prevalent. One in particular would be sun pillars and light pillars. The atmosphere is prime at these temperatures for producing copious amounts of ice crystals which sometimes reflect light in amazing ways. The photo below shows just a hint of one that didn't blossom into a full-blown column of light, but was pretty just the same.

As seen from the intersection of Orchard St. and Rte. 44 in Raynham on Wednesday morning, out the driver's door window;
MorningPillar Dec12'18.jpg
MorningPillar Dec12'18.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

More stuff from my simpleton mind - 6am Wednesday morning, spectacular lineup that really needed to be seen in person to be appreciated. Jup, Luna, Venus plus bright stars that didn't get picked up. Mercury was too low, darn it.

MornTrioJan2'19.jpg
MornTrioJan2'19.jpg (109.1 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
Last edited by Apollo XX on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Cosmic conjunctions are beautiful sights and often very simple to see - just look up with your eyes and behold the awesomeness. Jupiter and Venus are headed for just such a thing within the next week, where on the 22nd they'll be just 2.4* separated in the morning sky. Right now, Venus is dropping back toward the Sun and headed toward superior conjunction, while Jupiter continues to move away from the Sun on it's way to a June opposition.

https://earthsky.org/?p=296766

https://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20190122_19_100

Jupiter and Venus as seen yesterday in the early morning sky. They'll soon pass each other and get much closer -

VenJup Jan15'19.jpg
VenJup Jan15'19.jpg (111.48 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

The morning planetary conjunction scene continues to impress, while a bright sundog added some beautiful color to today's sky.

Venus and Jupiter side-by-side in the early am on Friday, the 25th:
JupVen Jan25'19.jpg
JupVen Jan25'19.jpg (321.35 KiB) Viewed 3290 times

A glorious sundog graced the sky at mid-day on Saturday, the 26th:
SunDog Jan26'19.jpg
SunDog Jan26'19.jpg (120.31 KiB) Viewed 3290 times