Sometimes It's The Simplest Things

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Sometimes It's The Simplest Things

Unread post by Apollo XX »

For most of us astronomy enthusiasts the sky brings us great joy. Seeing cool things and conquering challenging observations, all very satisfying. But sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. As Bob M. is fond of saying, "isn't serendipity wonderful?".

Occasionally I like to grab a little early morning chow at a local restaurant on my way to work. Back in mid-April I was doing just that and as I was walking back to my vehicle I spied the scene below. I was just so pretty that I had to take a picture. In it we have the early morning sun's rays illuminating the First Congregational church on the outskirts of the common in Bridgewater center, and for the astronomical connection we have the 95% waning gibbous moon falling toward the horizon off in the distance. Wish you were there to share it with me!

"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Sometimes It's The Simplest Things

Another random grab - seen overlooking Monponsett East on Saturday evening, May 20'17;

"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Beautiful shots both, Mike.
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Beautiful!
Andy
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Great shots. The skies over Monponsett are gorgeous.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Thank you for the compliments, Gentlemen!

Here's a look over my trees to the east at about 8:00am this morning. A fleeting sun halo;

Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Nice Mike!
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Stepping out of the house after supper last night I was treated to a lovely view of the young crescent moon about 30* up off the western horizon. Not more than two days old, it looked razor-thin to the naked eye in the blue sky.

Baby Luna in a clear blue sky;

Had I known that it was actually 11% illuminated I might have went and got a scope to have a look. The eastern limb in the early phases is an area where I've spent the least amount of time on the moon with a telescope. Usually because the seeing is bad as she drops towards the western horizon.

Luna pulled a fast one on me, looking more slender than she really was;

Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Checked it out with the 15X70 as there was a visitor last night. Very little detail with such low magnification.
Pete P.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

I like the graphic, Mike.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur