Sometimes It's The Simplest Things

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Sometimes It's The Simplest Things

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Very pretty scene! Thanks for posting 8)
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

In this scene you may say, 'hey Mike, where's the astro-theme in this one', to which I would reply 'that's where the lighting came from'. Well, most of it anyway. About a week ago we got some snow in the daytime and it left everything covered, so that evening I was out salting the driveway and I couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of the scene with the snow being illuminated by the full moon beaming down through a crystal clear sky. I think the tree in the very foreground may be displaying some illumination from the streetlamp, but there's nothing I can do about that. I tried shooting it out with a pellet gun one night, but got afraid of shooting my eye out. Pretty stout cover on that thing, yessirree.

ByTheLightOfTheMoon.jpg
ByTheLightOfTheMoon.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 2452 times
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Venus is back in the western sky, which is always a good thing!
20191228_165948.jpg
20191228_165948.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 2434 times
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Couldn't help but notice it myself, nice picture Mike!
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Thanks, Bruce!

Went out to visit the 'rents last night, and upon returning home I found Orion standing high in the south behind a layer of thickening clouds in the sky. Many will likely recognize several of the bright stars in the picture, especially Sirius, Rigel, and Aldebaran that all make up part of the 'winter hexagon', but the one that might throw you in the upper left of the image is Alhena, the gamma star in Gemini, located in the feet of the 'children' asterism. Also note that Betelgeuse is shining at a historic low right now, indicating that the star is puffed out at the moment, perhaps more so than it ever has (maybe). https://www.livescience.com/will-betelg ... plode.html KABLOOEEE is what we'd like to witness here, just because.

Image taken with the Samsung Pocket Miracle, pro mode, ISO800, landscape focus, four seconds:
OrionJan5'20C.jpg
OrionJan5'20C.jpg (334.54 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
The so called 'winter hexagon', also sometimes referred to as the winter circle. Obviously it's really neither, which is probably why it hasn't gained the same level of popularity of the Summer Triangle, which, actually depicts a triangle:
Winter Hexagon.png
Winter Hexagon.png (313.76 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Awesome shot... geeze Betelgeuse looks dimmer than the belt stars. Very strange
Bruce D
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

In the midst of the single biggest social crisis ever seen in our lifetimes, it's important to remember the simple things in life that bring us joy and beauty. Case in point: I stopped by at Lake Nippenicket last night for a little peace and quiet, and was presented with a beautiful sky scene - waning sunset, waxing twilight, and Venus blazing high in the western sky. For a few moments I was transported away from our troubles, and that was a welcome thing indeed.

20200317_155920.jpg
20200317_155920.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 2292 times