DEATH VALLEY NIGHTS

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

DEATH VALLEY NIGHTS

Unread post by NGC7000 »

We just got back from vacation and I had the opportunity to get out with my AstroTrac and Canon T3i for imaging.

Just a few setbacks:
Wind gusts up to 45mph- so I set up behind a protective stand of trees only to find out about an hour later that I was on a golf course. I found out when the sprinklers turned on about 10 feet from where I was standing. It was ok, as the nighttime temp at 11Pm was 100 degrees, but no humidity.

I used a Nikon 180mm lens at 2.8, and each image is comprised of 3minutes @ISO800 10 lights, 20 darks and 15 flats, Processed in Images Plus 4.50

Here's the North American /Pelican nebula area:

And the Antares Region.....something I've been after for some time....I stretched it a little too far...but I don't care. Just call me wet behind the ears. :lol:

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Re: DEATH VALLEY NIGHTS

Unread post by BobSikes »

Awesome images Tom :mrgreen:

That's a lot of nebulosity/dust and a whole bunch of stars.
Must have been mighty good skies there. What was your visual impression of the sky?

Good that they don't play night golf.

BobS
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Thanks Bob. We arrived when they were having the "Heatstroke Tournament". And they they think we amateur astronomers are nuts. :lol:

Skies were pretty steady- Both seeing and transperancy were good the night I was out. After that, it was a combination of waxing moon and much more LPd areas of California we were in that made imaging- or observing, well, fruitless. I did get some nightime timelapses of the Milky Way.

However, we did get to visit both Griffith and Wilson Observatories, and that made up for it. :lol:

Here's Griffith in the middle of an Outreach Night:

And here's the venerable Hooker Telescope at Mt Wilson:

Both are great places to visit.
Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Tom those are keepers! Glad you had a good vacation, the mental video of the moment the sprinklers came on is pretty entertaining :lol:
Great images :!:
Bruce D
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Beautiful images, Tom!
I'm more open to having sprinklers turn on in the middle of an observing session, than
having Griffith bathed in UPLIGHTING during an outreach. Or should I say, uplit at all!
I'm sure (hope) that they were dimmer than the time exposure shows.
Thanks for posting your great images!

Bill G.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Wow, Tom! You've got that Astrotrac really tuned in. Was that mounted on a photo tripod? Did you drive, or fly?

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Thanks, Mark. The thought of the sprinklers ( think fire hose, actually :lol: ) is funny now. But then? In the complete darkness, it came as quite a surprise, and it was just the right time to blurt a few Holy Expletives. :lol:

Bill, I don't think they use the Griffith scope ( 12" Zeiss refractor) for much more than the moon, planets, and of course, COMETS! But the view of LA at night is spectacular. Griffith itself is an architectural jewel, and the interior has the look and feel of the old Hayden Planetariun in NYC. They also have a planetarium show. The place was packed when we were there.

Tom
Tom H
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Hey Mike, Yes, that was mounted on an old 3001 Bogen tripod. I got the 7001 Manfrotto head to support the Astrotrac, along with another Manfrotto Ball head to support the Camera. I used a small 12v reachargeable battery pack to power it.

We flew out to Vegas on Southwest and dropped the car off in LA. Thanks to my wife's incredible coupon and point collecting skills, the trip cost about 1/2 of what it should have. Ergo, more money for another scope. ( Ouch! I was only kidding, dear... :P )

Here's some stills from the timelapses. First was Death Valley in the High Wind, and second is from the Best Western Balcony at Pismo Beach. I just loved seeing the whole of Scorpius, tail and all.

Death valley Golf Course at Furnace Creek:

Pismo beach:

Tom H
Dr. Powell
10+ Years Member

Unread post by Dr. Powell »

What a great post Tom. Fantastic astro-photos. Good angle on the telescope. Very interesting and I am glad you had such a great vacation.

Mike
Mike
16 X 50 Binoculars
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Thanks, Mike. Look forward to seeing everyone at the meeting.

tom
Tom H