IC 1871 Soul Nebula

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

IC 1871 Soul Nebula

Unread post by menardre »

A few weeks ago I tried to image IC 1871, but the Moon was bright and I was getting reflections that ruined the image. Last night I tried again.
I used my 11 inch SCT and ZWO ASI2600 to capture the nebula. It turns out that I should have used my 90mm refractor since the nebula is soo large that I could only capture a part of it. I may reconfigure and try again, weather permitting.

The good thing is, it is getting darker, earlier. I was able to start imaging a few minutes before 8PM. I took 178 images of 2 minutes (binned 1x1 gain 100 and temp -10C) and ended around 3Am. I originally wanted to use 4 minute subs to better capture the faint nebula, but the first few 4 minute subs were disappointing - probably due to marginal guiding. At the early portion of the night Cassiopeia is fairly low and last night started of a little murky, so guiding was not great (1-2 arc-seconds). Later guiding improved to <1 arc-sec. I stayed with 2 minute subs because I was getting good results.

IC 1871 is an emission nebula in Cassiopeia. It is about 25 light years across and located in the Perseus arm of our Milky Way.

Roger
IC 1871 Soul Nebula.jpg
IC 1871 Soul Nebula.jpg (14.04 MiB) Viewed 354 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: IC 1871 Soul Nebula

Unread post by Pete »

Big scope or not that's a great image Rog. Your stars are always so close to pinpoint and I'm jealous as hell.
Pete P.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Beautiful image, Roger. The contrast is startling and it's also got a lot of depth around the core area of the nebula. Impressive. This might be one of your best!

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Tom

Thanks, now that the days are getting longer I am able to get more integration time.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.