Looking Ahead in 2023

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Looking Ahead in 2023

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Greeting Fellow Intrepid Astronomy Enthusiasts,

Thinking about the year ahead, what are YOU looking forward to from an astronomical adventure perspective?

As for me, I'm looking forward to finishing the Astronomical League's Binocular Deep Sky program which I started last fall and has been great fun so far. I'm also keen to get started on a little project where I'm going to observe the night sky's 109 Finest Deep Sky Objects, a list which was crafted in the 1960's and published then as a 31 page pamphlet. I picked up a copy last year, and am planning to use the C8 that I picked up also last year from ASSNE to view all the objects and compare my impressions to those of the authors', who of course were using equipment available at the time. The single biggest change since then has been in eyepiece technology, so I wonder, is what was considered the 'finest' in 1966 still as breathtaking nearly 60 years later? Stay tuned for my report!

Per my usual I will attempt to participate in the Observer's Challenge throughout the year, watch the Sun's solar cycle #25 evolve as it marches towards maximum, do as much outreach as time and opportunities allow, and probably start at least one new Astro League program.

For star parties I do wonder if we will organize an in-house ASSNE event this year (usually held in early June), am absolutely planning on attending Stellafane in August, and am batting around considerations of heading out to West Virginia in July for the Greenbank Starquest event.

So I ask again, what are YOU GUYS hoping will happen for you as far as astronomy is concerned in 2023? Curious minds want to know!

Keep Looking Up!

Mike M.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
mark.m
President

Re: Looking Ahead in 2023

Unread post by mark.m »

My number one goal for 2023 is to get the UMass-D observatory back into action. I hope we can re-establish a regular outreach program there and also start integrating their telescope into the school's physics/astronomy curriculum.
The New Dome (photo credit: Roger M)
The New Dome (photo credit: Roger M)
-7060552912448410774.jpg (799.55 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
There's great opportunities for more people to get involved in this; we'll need
  • a social media coordinator to help get the word out
  • an "evening host" to help guide people through the doors of the observatory and provide a little publicity for ASSNE
  • a few "telescope operators" to run the 16" telescope
  • other observers to set up their own scopes/binoculars on the lawn
Some of these are great ways to (gently) try your hand at this outreach!

- Mark M
Mark M, AJ1B
Portsmouth, RI
Celestron 14" and Meade 10" SCTs
QHY268M + SBIG ST-9
GM2000 (10Micron)
American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) observer code: MMU
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Wow! Is the new dome operational (as in moves via motor power, etc)?

I fit squarely into the "other observers to set up scopes on the lawn" category and will be there as often as I can to support events at UMD.

Mike M.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Kudos to Mark & Roger. Lot of work here. Sorta reminds me of Jerry's work restoring the Durfee High scope.
141024 Durfee telescope.jpg
141024 Durfee telescope.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 3521 times
Pete P.