A Fantastic Naked-Eye Sight Throughout December

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

A Fantastic Naked-Eye Sight Throughout December

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Greetings Fellow Sky Enthusiasts,

Do be sure to look east after dark these December evenings to see a splendidly wonderful naked eye sight - that being a huge acute triangle being formed by three red dots in the sky - Mars, Aldebaran and Betelgeuse. The picture below doesn't quite do the live view justice, but it will give you an idea of what to look for. It was taken at 8pm on December 1st and the shape of the triangle will change over the course of the month as Mars continues its retrograde motion across the starry backdrop.

MarsAldBet Triangle.jpg
MarsAldBet Triangle.jpg (689.59 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
MarsAldBet Triangle Anno.jpg
MarsAldBet Triangle Anno.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 2754 times
stellarium-001.png
stellarium-001.png (167.53 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
stellarium-000.png
stellarium-000.png (205.22 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: A Fantastic Naked-Eye Sight Throughout December

Unread post by NGC7000 »

This ephemeral Winter Triangle, and I know because I watch a lot of movies, is clearly a sign from somewhere out there pointing to something about to happen in the East. I'm guessing now, so don't quote me, but I think it could be that you or Bruce, since you both live east of me, could be coming into something huge, like a lottery or something, so start playing Maga, I'm sorry, I mean, Mega immediately. In fact , it could be pointing to a convenience store down the street where you ( or Bruce) live. That's all I can say for sure. And these are really nice pictures.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: A Fantastic Naked-Eye Sight Throughout December

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Well, Mars sure did move as prescribed! Last night I looked up and sure enough there it sat right between the Haydes and the Pleiades. There was plenty of moonlight and the transparency wasn't perfect but it still looked good, so I took a picture. I used a Nikon DSLR with a 50mm prime lens mounted on an iOptron sky tracker, and took lots of 30sec exposures but only wound up using 12 of them.
MarAldPleia-C.png
MarAldPleia-C.png (7.43 MiB) Viewed 2671 times
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras